• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

IN law Apt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cridgely01

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I have a property with an in law (Assessory unit) located on the first floor...It has no main access to the other part of the house..Its 468 sq ft one bedroom, kitchen, living room and full bath with separate entrance...The owners have use of the 3 bedrrom full bath and living room on the fist floor and the newly renovated basement which is where the the kitchen is located, rr, den and full bath family room and laundry...New renovated
One meter, one hot water heater...The owner claims he bought the house this way...Oh its a ranch... The area has a limited number of resale with in law apts in basements

What do I do with this one...the FO is obvious and the unit does not conform to the neighborhood and is probably an illegal unit as designed...the cost to cure is minimal (add a doorway via closet to allow access to main house)... Comments welcomedm2:

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
The first question is the zoning? Is your use allowable. If yes, then you are OK, if no, then you will need a C2C to bring it into compliance. A single meter makes it easier. It is an accessory unit and not a duplex. Sometimes the lines can get a little fuzzy. Is there a separate entrance? Could the accessory unit be rented? Is the accessory unit similar to the main house in fit and finish?

The easiest way to address this IMHO might be to treat the entire area as GLA with a C2C to bring it into an SFR. I hope that it will not create a functional problem.

Tricky little assignment. More questions than answers.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
The cost to cure may be more than simply putting in a door ... are two kitchens allowable under zoning? This assignment requires very careful consideration.
Im not fully sure that cost to cure is appropriate, because essentially you will simply be placing a value on an illegal use of the land ... which I believe is inappropriate.

Steer

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
Below grade is typically not considered in the GLA. I see these from time to time.
After you consider legal use, maybe the best way to use a CTC would be to open the basement level to the first floor above grade area via a stairway, as you mentioned.

Lets face it, an in-law may or may not be anything more than a different level of the house that has cabinetry, a stove, and refrigerator. Two of those items are personal property anyway. I have seen basement levels with more installed storage cabinetry than your typical above grade kitchens.

Have you performed a search for several years to find anything else that is simlar?

cridgely01

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
The in law apt is on the first floor and the owner uses the original three bedrrom lr and full inaddtion to the full basement which has a upgrtaded modern kitchen dining area, fbrecr room and den....there is access from the basement to the upstairs bedroom just no kitchen ...I beleive the original kitchen is the oine in the in law appt or accessory unit. The zoning is residenital....This is located in Baltimore City...There are several cape COD homes with basement inlaw apartments..

My original thought was to count all room above grade, CTC the access propblem and then only give credit for the finished basement aand upgrades....
Thoughts.... There are abosolutely no true comps with the same design as my house...

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
http://cityservices.baltimorecity.gov/charterandcodes/Code/Art%2000%20-%20Zoning.pdf

Page 11.

http://cityservices.baltimorecity.gov/charterandcodes/Code/Art 00 - Bldg, Fire.pdf

Page 11. section 105.1

Residential Uses Section 4-201, 202. onward.

31/03 -117- Z[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]ONING [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]C[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]ODE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]T[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]ITLE [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]2[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]A[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]DMINISTRATION[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]; A[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]UTHORIZATIONS[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]Subtitle 4. Use Permits[/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]§ 2-402. Use permit required.[/FONT]
A use permit is required before any person may:
(1) occupy any newly-constructed structure or any addition to a previously-constructed
structure;
(2) use for any purpose any previously-vacant land; or
(3) make any change in the authorized use of any land or structure.

"It has no main access to the other part of the house.."

p.s. there is also an Interior Access Code Requirement as well.

Last edited:

cridgely01

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
thanks to all you responded your comments like always are appreciated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks