• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

In the know. read these questions if you want to pass Cert exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
AI has about 239 or so questions on their website discussing various scenarios and how an appraiser should handle them... I read through half of them before taking my exam a couple months back. About 25% of those questions were verbatim on the exam. That's my one study tip... If you can bear to read through them, and you have half a clue how to complete a URAR, you should score high enough to pass. I no longer have the link... but, if you were smart enough to search out this website on your own, you'll be able to find the AI website as well.

Good luck...

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Thanks Sheriff. One question. Do you have to be a member to access that specific data? If I find it I will post the link (still looking).

I am embarrassed on how many times I have taken it so far. Why do they ask cap rates on residential tests? Grrrrrr. Like I do that calculation everyday... reminds me of organic chem in college. That's working out well for me these days.

Here is one I have seen on the test a couple of times. Can an appraiser do a report for both parties in a divorce, one for each lawyer?

The Sheriff

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I passed on the second try, but I honestly studied a combined two to three hours between the two exams. I really didn't study much the first exam thinking I was going to blow through it like I did the other exams (I read USPAP on my drive from Queen Creek to the Phoenix location - the extent of my studying). I scored a 96 (just under passing). The second time, I read half of those questions before falling asleep (I used to be able to drink beer and study while in college four years ago without falling asleep (and was highly successful). Must have been all those hot South Florida coeds keeping me awake.

Anyways... you don't need access to the site. It's just a list of their scenarios and answers.

I told my one licensed appraiser about it (and he is not a rocket scientist by any means - he's is a really good appraiser though), and he passed on his first go around.

He said those questions were spot on... but go figure, the AI wrote the exam.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Here you ladies and gents go...

http://commerce.appraisalfoundation.org/html/USPAP2008/FAQ/FAQ_Table_of_Contents.htm

Good luck. I did my good deed for the day.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Worthy of some rep Sheriff. Well done.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
AI has about 239 or so questions on their website discussing various scenarios and how an appraiser should handle them... I read through half of them before taking my exam a couple months back. About 25% of those questions were verbatim on the exam. That's my one study tip... If you can bear to read through them, and you have half a clue how to complete a URAR, you should score high enough to pass. I no longer have the link... but, if you were smart enough to search out this website on your own, you'll be able to find the AI website as well.

Good luck...

Sounds to me like with the help of the AI and people like you the new national exams are going to become another worthless indicator of competence.

Just what we need - more enablers intent on making it easy for losers to continue to enter this field.

I have no problem assisting candidates with mastering exam content. And a person who fails the exam several times is not a loser in my book. But the person who goes looking for verbatim, word-for-word exam questions because they are too weak to master the material...well...that crosses the line. And the person who points the candidate in the direction of those questions is just as guilty.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Mike... I didn't know about this website for my first two years. Honestly, if I hadn't left my first firm to open my own firm, I probably never would have used this forum. The knowledge base of my peers at my original firm was just as strong as the knowledge base here, if not better (except they didn't chastise a poster looking for help when you had a question that might be deemed to easy for some of you old salts).

The national exam is a worthless indicator IMO. Very few of the questions might be relevant. It reminds me of some of the nuclear power classes I took while I was in the Nuclear Power Program in the military. They were all theory related... and did not transfer over to everyday experiences around the reactor.

Anyways... I'm reading about people on here struggling to pass the exam. I'd be willing to bet over half the certified appraisers in the industry now could NOT pass the exam on their first attempt. Not because they are not worthy appraisers, but because the exam is not as relevant as you and others may think to everyday appraising.

If you read the scenarios from the AI, they are not one word answers. They encourage thought. Considering you and many others believe our industry lacks a strong competent academic background with the new appraiser, this will only help open the minds of our future pool of appraisers entering the market. I don't know about you, but I get tired of cutting reviews. It would be nice to agree with one more than 10% of the time.

Furthermore... I waited a couple of months before dropping the link... why, because skippy jr with the GED or high school diploma that was too lazy to get certified before the October 1st deadline wasn't going to get a free pass at my expense (I have about $40,000 in student loans I'm repaying for my B.S. in Finance - if they want it bad enough, let them get the schooling now).

Call me guilty... but encouraging someone to broaden their education in appraising in never an injustice to the industry.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
State
Arizona
See ya in three years Mike... I'll be bringing USF Appraisals, LLC, to Tampa by 2011. Maybe we can grab a beer someday... or see USF continue the domination of UCF in O-Town. I have six season tickets to USF football games in Tampa where I played. If you're ever wanting to check out a game in Ray J, hit a brother up. Catch some football, BS about the industry, and throw down some beer and dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks