• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Incoming Trainee Data - Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I posted this in General because it has national significance.

Anyone who has read very many of my posts knows I have stated many times that lower and lower AMCs fees is the direct result of a huge oversupply of appraisers. Well...we have, and we will continue to have a huge oversupply of appraisers in Florida but the market and/or the new AQB requirements appears to be in the process of sorting that out.

The following reflect the number of Registered Trainee Appraisers who have entered the field in Florida on a monthly basis since January 2007. This begins 1/07 and goes through 5/08. In other words the number of RTs who were issued RT licenses in 1/07 = 207, 2/07 = 112, and so on.

208, 112, 214, 117, 195, 138, 83, 113, 77, 72, 40, 66, 76, 52, 27, 30, 15.

Here are the same "incoming" numbers again, preceded by the number who are Inactive. This is important because it reflects the number of "incoming" trainees who apparently have not been able to find supervisors.

127/208, 63/112, 128/214, 59/117, 121/195, 85/138, 51/83, 65/113, 47/77, 43/72, 25/40, 42/66, 53/76, 35/52, 20/27, 22/30, 9/15. That is 61% Inactive.

So since 1/1/2007 (through 5/31/08) 1635 RTs entered the business in FL - only 995 are Active. Still, way, way too many, but the tide seems to be turning. Only 9 RTs entered the field last month in the entire state of Florida who are working. Nine in 5/08 versus 128 in 1/07.

Keep in mind, Florida does not issue the Licensed category license which means as soon as the grandfathering is over (if any, I don't know) all incoming RTs will have to meet the new AQB requirements or remain career trainees.

All licenses in Florida must be renewed by/on 11/30/08. You can bet I'll be posting the results.

Cheers -
MP

Eli Weiss

Professional Status
State
New York
I believe we are seeing a similar trend in all the states.....

I think in about 10 years from now appraisers will once again be able to make a living as an appraiser, as new appraisers will be limited and far in between, and many of the first in this profession are beginning to retire.......

Untill then it's all just numbers....

I was really surprised at the recent "whats your age" AF poll.....

Last edited:

nauthead

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
My wife has an inactive trainee license and has to complete the 45 hour post licensing before 11/30, which includes the 15 hour USPOOP class. Both times so far when she has tried to registed for the class she has been told that the class has been cancelled due to lack of interest. MP, I guess that backs up your stats.

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
My wife has an inactive trainee license and has to complete the 45 hour post licensing before 11/30, which includes the 15 hour USPOOP class. Both times so far when she has tried to registed for the class she has been told that the class has been cancelled due to lack of interest. MP, I guess that backs up your stats.

Well...I know a really experienced Certified Resi guy with some commercial experience who might consider working for a well-qualified General. Have Proline 17 with 115 Yahama (great condition) and fishing tackle - will travel. :rof:

I was thinking of relocating to the Keys and renaming my company Phillips Residential Appraisals, Steam Cleaning & Fresh Shrimp, Ink. :rof:

Right? Do some resi work, steam cleaning in the winter months for the tourists, maybe catch some shrimp. Maybe open a restaurant on the main drag - seafood only, fried and broiled - CASH only. Hell, I could even make a few dollars playing guitar/keyboards and singing Buffett tunes.

That is, IF I was a bit younger and single and knew what I know today.

Not to make light of your wife's situation (sincerely). She has been caught in the squeeze. Unfortunate - I'd love to bring my sons in - can't do it.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Just got a call today from my software vendor who also does classes. Seems they are having difficulty filling a class just 3 1/2 weeks before licenses expire.

Bama Bayou

Professional Status
State
Alabama
It has been quite a while since some yahoo redneck called me and asked if I would mentor them. I used to get two or three a week.

The number hitting shills that could only get a number insisting MB client are out of work because their clients are out of business, and real banks won't hire them.

These people got into this business for one reason and one reason only-making money. That should not be the primary reason one becomes an appraiser.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Well...I know a really experienced Certified Resi guy with some commercial experience who might consider working for a well-qualified General. Have Proline 17 with 115 Yahama (great condition) and fishing tackle - will travel. :rof:

I was thinking of relocating to the Keys and renaming my company Phillips Residential Appraisals, Steam Cleaning & Fresh Shrimp, Ink. :rof:

Right? Do some resi work, steam cleaning in the winter months for the tourists, maybe catch some shrimp. Maybe open a restaurant on the main drag - seafood only, fried and broiled - CASH only. Hell, I could even make a few dollars playing guitar/keyboards and singing Buffett tunes.

That is, IF I was a bit younger and single and knew what I know today.

Not to make light of your wife's situation (sincerely). She has been caught in the squeeze. Unfortunate - I'd love to bring my sons in - can't do it.

Mike,

1.) I'm Certifed Res, and would move to the keys.

2.) I own my own shrimp net.

3.) I play a mean 12 string and know every buffet toon since "Come Monday"

4.) I know my way around a boat AND the kitchen.

If you need a partner, let me know

:new_all_coholic:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Mike,

1.) I'm Certifed Res, and would move to the keys.

2.) I own my own shrimp net.

3.) I play a mean 12 string and know every buffet toon since "Come Monday"

4.) I know my way around a boat AND the kitchen.

If you need a partner, let me know

:new_all_coholic:

You sound like the perfect wife....almost.....

Eli Weiss

Professional Status
State
New York
These people got into this business for one reason and one reason only-making money. That should not be the primary reason one becomes an appraiser.

Bama, well said, this should be your signature line.......

Alison Swain

Professional Status
State
Florida

I used to tell my old mentor that I wanted to one day name my company Alison's Appraisals and Bait Shop.

Great minds................

:rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks