• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Indianapolis Grms Very Low/desirable For Investors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
A relation of mine just dipped their hat in the Indy housing market. She got two decent, newer(2000ish) homes (one is 2700 SF two story and the other a 1700 SF one level) that are in good condition according to the listing photos/video on you tube. Doing a little research they are not in the "rough" areas of the city. She paid roughly 100k for each. The first has been rented at $1,500 a month while the second at $1,200. That puts gross rent multipliers well below 100 and makes that area a great metro locale for investors looking to hold income properties.

Are those numbers typical for the area?

In Phoenix and the suburbs, where I live/work, GRMs are closer to 200 in most cases as a 200k home will only get $1100-$1200 in rent and obviously much less desirable to buy and hold as a rental. Any thoughts on Indy as a great investors market for buy/rent/hold?

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Are those numbers typical for the area?

Any thoughts on Indy as a great investors market for buy/rent/hold?

Late comments but I don't check the States forums often.

GRM's in the Indy area run from about 50-150, depending mostly on the area. In the suburbs a GRM of 125-150 is common.

In the suburban/urban areas, less desirable than suburbs, 80-120 is common.

In the "less than desirable" areas, GRM of 50-75 is frequent and GRMs of 30-40 are not unusual.

As far as "buy/rent/hold"...I think you can make money as long as you self-manage. Indy real estate has seen some recent appreciation but on average, its been low for many (20+) years. Cheap and plentiful land makes is a tract builder's heaven. I can go out today and buy a new 2,000 s.f. home for $150K if I didn't mind living in a cookie-cutter, low budget construction area.

By the time you include taxes, maint, reserves, vacancy, etc. , SFRs in this area are rarely good investments due to the lack of appreciation.

I don't know where your relative bought her houses but there are some areas with newer homes where a GRM of 75 would not entice me. I used to own a lot of rentals in the suburbs; SFR, duplexes, condos, and sold them all in 06-07 just prior to the crash. Glad I bought them, even gladder I sold them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks