• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Indoor heated swimming pool .

Country Gal

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
Should an in door heated swimming pool area be included in the GLA?? Accessed by a sliding door from the main part of the home.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Should an in door heated swimming pool area be included in the GLA?? Accessed by a sliding door from the main part of the home.
Nope. I usually find these cost more per SF than GLA but contribute less than the GLA. They tend to be an over-improvement. The last one I was in, has a wet bar, pool table, waterfall, fountains pool lights and was a salt water pool...lots of windows, dehumidifier, and wood beams - more than $200,000 cost. Basically an addition to the dwelling but too much. I discounted it severely based on discounts I had extracted for pools elsewhere but even then...this was overdone. And the whole house was a garish display by someone with more money than sense. PIX_8389 (Medium).JPG REC ROOM-BAR (Medium).JPG

Lil Rhody

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Rhode Island
At fist thought I would say no and address it as a line item like USPAP Compliant said but after more thought and reviewing the ANSI standards for GLA calculation I am second guessing. If the room itself is heated, and not just the pool, and the room is also finished, what would prevent it from being considered GLA? What about high end modern dwellings that have pools that are both indoor and outdoor and the indoor portion is in a room that also has utility for additional recreation like a rec room. I might defer to the way that the local municipality addresses the area on the property card and just make sure to be consistent in your comparable GLA calculation on the off chance you find a comp with a similar amenity.

Attachments

Lil Rhody

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Rhode Island
Even if you do that the GLA of the "pool room" is very likely to be different than the GLA for the house. including it with the GLA will cause problems from day one with the lender, reviewer, buyer etc.
If the city/town assessor is considering the area as GLA and your GLA calculation conforms to that, I would think that would cause less of an issue with the lender/buyer. Our underwriters don't have access to MLS service and use property records for some data verification. It's a very interesting scenario because the room would have a specific utility that may be adverse in comparison to the rest of the GLA and might also be considered an over improvement in many markets.

Tawfik Ahdab

Professional Status
State
Oregon
I remember an old-time appraiser tell
me when I was a newbie: “it can’t be living area if you can’t walk on it”. It struck me as a simple common sense response to my confusion about the matter.

Chandler

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I remember an old-time appraiser tell
me when I was a newbie: “it can’t be living area if you can’t walk on it”. It struck me as a simple common sense response to my confusion about the matter.
Right, 5-feet deep water is not a finished flooring material. It could be covered with a decking material however but if it is a heated pool it is probably used year round as a pool not living space. The decking area around the pool however, may be considered IMO.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
So you have comps with similar "GLA" that include an indoor heated pool?

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks