• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Indoor heated swimming pool .

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
and similar source of indoor humidity?
Those listings never seem to describe good indoor air treatment. YMCA can have an indoor pool in a concrete building, but a wood frame house with drywall?

Country Gal

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone. I ended up not counting the pool in the GLA however I did give it a value in a separate line item in the grid. The town did count it on the tax card, but they sub contract out the field data collectors . I'm not sure if their personal are trained properly.

Last edited:

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks everyone. I ended up not counting the pool in the GLA however I did give it a value in a separate line item in the grid. The town did count it on the tax card, but they sub contract out the field data collectors . I'm not sure if their personal are trained properly.
tax assessors want to collect as much RE tax as possible therefore they include everything they can for the taxable GLA !

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Nope. I usually find these cost more per SF than GLA but contribute less than the GLA. They tend to be an over-improvement. The last one I was in, has a wet bar, pool table, waterfall, fountains pool lights and was a salt water pool...lots of windows, dehumidifier, and wood beams - more than $200,000 cost. Basically an addition to the dwelling but too much. I discounted it severely based on discounts I had extracted for pools elsewhere but even then...this was overdone. And the whole house was a garish display by someone with more money than sense.
Some contractor has those on his list of greatest hits.
Looks like it belongs in a motel. :peace:

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Should an in door heated swimming pool area be included in the GLA?? Accessed by a sliding door from the main part of the home.
Depends in Beverly Hills-Bel-Air or other high end priced areas where homes can sell for $10 to 30 Million yes . In a normal neighborhood no :)

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Depends in Beverly Hills-Bel-Air or other high end priced areas where homes can sell for $10 to 30 Million yes . In a normal neighborhood no :)
Last one I just did high end of Bel Air price was ~ $100,000,000.
Woot! :oops:

Mark K

Professional Status
State
Indiana
I appraised a home w/indoor pool for a divorce about 5 yrs ago. It sold a couple of years later and the additional value was very close, on a sq.ft. basis, as the adjustment for the GLA. Price range for its neighborhood was about 2.5X the average for the local market. It took about 2X as long to sell.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks