• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Indoor Pool - GLA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smv81261

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
In Ohio we have very few indoor pools. I am working on a property that has an indoor pool. The room that it is in is the same quality of build as the balance of the house. In the "wing"of this house there is not only the pool area but changing rooms,bath rooms, etc.

How do most of you handle this for calculating GLA? I consider this to be an integral part of the structure. I measured the pool and can take it out but am unsure of how to handle this.

Thanks in advance for your help

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have appraised 3 or 4 of these over the years and have never included that area in GLA. I value it in a separata area similar to outdoor pool, tennis cts., etc.

Theodore Gilliam

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maine
I've only done a few of those over the years, and since in my area the pool has to be heated, and hence the room is heated, I did count the area AROUND the pool as GLA.

Total room minus area of water = GLA.

bfriendly

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
Cool inspection huh? I have only done one, but did not count the "Wing" as GLA. I would think maybe if the pool was "Surrounded" by GLA, maybe, but if it is a WING(Mine was), then no.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I've only done a few of those over the years, and since in my area the pool has to be heated, and hence the room is heated, I did count the area AROUND the pool as GLA.

Total room minus area of water = GLA.

I do it the same way as Theodore. You might also consider some, or all, of that space as a super adequacy. It would depend on your market.

sunnycal

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
If it is equal to the rest of the house then why should it matter what it is used for? If there was a dark room or workshop or den wouldn't it be considered part of the main house? In high end neighborhoods of Los Angeles it is a part of the main house just like their screening rooms.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
If it is equal to the rest of the house then why should it matter what it is used for? If there was a dark room or workshop or den wouldn't it be considered part of the main house? In high end neighborhoods of Los Angeles it is a part of the main house just like their screening rooms.

Good point re: typical for the neighborhood in some areas of LA and probably then appropriate to include as GLA.

I suppose that in those neighborhoods where such pool rooms are fairly common, including the area in GLA makes sense.

But, in an area where such a room is a "sore thumb", it probably does not make sense to include the pool room as GLA.

Whatever one does, always be certain to "analyze, analyze, analyze" and then "explain, explain, explain".

Each situation should be determined on its own merits.

sunnycal

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Good point re: typical for the neighborhood in some areas of LA and probably then appropriate to include as GLA.

I suppose that in those neighborhoods where such pool rooms are fairly common, including the area in GLA makes sense.

But, in an area where such a room is a "sore thumb", it probably does not make sense to include the pool room as GLA.

Whatever one does, always be certain to "analyze, analyze, analyze" and then "explain, explain, explain".

Each situation should be determined on its own merits.

You're right, what I left out was if it is typical for the neighborhood? However, even if it wasn't typical it could be included and then be adjusted for as obsolescence etc. I've seen homes built in adjoining neighborhoods that they tried to get similar values as the luxury neighborhood only to be hit hard for economic obsolescence and they were really pi**ed off. I had to explain that cost is not the basis for market value before they "chewed my head off."

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
It partially depends on your comparable sale data. Does you data source break out the area ? Or does you data source include the area in the GLA ? If your data is such that you can't break it out, then you have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks