• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Information on web-site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria Masis

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
I will like to know if anyone knows a free web-site for Naples,
Florida, besides MLS? I have an appraisal to do on Naples. If anyone can help me. Thank you in advance. :)

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
If you & your supervisor don't have data sources for an area, you shouldn't be appraising there.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Maria,

If you have recently relocated across the state to the Naples area, I'd suggest you spend the money and get access to the local MLS.

MLS are a cost of doing business that can not be avoided. Sorry.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Can someone please define geographic competence?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
If you don't already subscribe to the local MLS and KNOW the area, either decline the residential appraisal for that area, refer it to a LOCAL Naples area appraiser, or plan on spending a few days in Naples to learn enough to become geographically competent and join (pay for) the Naples area MLS.

What are you thinking in accepting an appraisal assignment in an area you don't have the necessary information for??? I haven't heard about a shortage of qualified appraisers in Naples. Why would you drive almost 2 hours, one way, for a residential appraisal? I know of some very good appraisers to refer this job to that are geographically competent in Naples.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Maria, I'd be happy to add you as a member of the Florida forum here and have already verified your license. We have a thread there where you can find appraisers to refer to all over the State. You should also ask Wayne McKerley, the owner/administrator of www.AppraisersForum.com to change your profile as I found you are now Certified Residential.

Welcome to the Appraisers Forum!
(the easiest disciplinary actions you will ever received are found here)

Lax1

Professional Status
State
Florida
That reminds me, when are they going to make it mandatory that if you are an appraiser and have MLS where you are working/appraising, you must join it/be a member for access. How can you do a competent appraisal without the large amount of information provided in the MLS on a daily basis?

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I will like to know if anyone knows a free web-site for Naples,
Florida, besides MLS? I have an appraisal to do on Naples. If anyone can help me. Thank you in advance. :)

Maria,

You have an Appraisal to do IN Naples. As has been pointed out, if you have never worked in the area you are NOT competent to complete the assignment, particularly if you have no data sources. As I understand it, Naples is a Declining market, and a complete understanding of the market is essential to providing a credible and supported report. PLEASE, either decline the assignment or insist that your mentor accompany you, and provide the data. You are not a slave, and certainly should not be expected to go it alone, particularly in todays market.

m2:

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Can someone please define geographic competence?

COMPETENCY RULE
Prior to accepting an assignment or entering into an agreement to perform any assignment, an appraiser must properly identify the problem to be addressed and have the knowledge and experience to complete the assignment competently; or alternatively, must:

disclose the lack of knowledge and/or experience to the client before accepting the assignment;

take all steps necessary or appropriate to complete the assignment competently; and

describe the lack of knowledge and/or experience and the steps taken to complete the assignment competently in the report.

Comment: Competency applies to factors such as, but not limited to, an appraiser’s familiarity with a specific type of property, a market, a geographic area, or an analytical method. If such a factor is necessary for an appraiser to develop credible assignment results, the appraiser is responsible for having the competency to address that factor or for following the steps outlined above to satisfy this COMPETENCY RULE.

The background and experience of appraisers varies widely, and a lack of knowledge or experience can lead to inaccurate or inappropriate appraisal practice. The COMPETENCY RULE requires an appraiser to have both the knowledge and the experience required to perform a specific appraisal service competently.

If an appraiser is offered the opportunity to perform an appraisal service but lacks the necessary knowledge or experience to complete it competently, the appraiser must disclose his or her lack of knowledge or experience to the client before accepting the assignment and then take the necessary or appropriate steps to complete the appraisal service competently. This may be accomplished in various ways, including, but not limited to, personal study by the appraiser, association with an appraiser reasonably believed to have the necessary knowledge or experience, or retention of others who possess the required knowledge or experience.

In an assignment where geographic competency is necessary, an appraiser preparing an appraisal in an unfamiliar location must spend sufficient time to understand the nuances of the local market and the supply and demand factors relating to the specific property type and the location involved. Such understanding will not be imparted solely from a consideration of specific data such as demographics, costs, sales, and rentals. The necessary understanding of local market conditions provides the bridge between a sale and a comparable sale or a rental and a comparable rental. If an appraiser is not in a position to spend the necessary amount of time in a market area to obtain this understanding, affiliation with a qualified local appraiser may be the appropriate response to ensure development of credible assignment results.

Although this Rule requires an appraiser to identify the problem and disclose any deficiency in competence prior to accepting an assignment, facts or conditions uncovered during the course of an assignment could cause an appraiser to discover that he or she lacks the required knowledge or experience to complete the assignment competently. At the point of such discovery, the appraiser is obligated to notify the client and comply with items 2 and 3 of this Rule.?

What is your understanding of this rule? Must you have lived in the area for xx number of years? Know where all the bars are? Read the local paper. Know xx number of Real Estate Agents?

What is your definition of geographic competence?

IMHO, some appraisers can be geographically competent in a matter of days having talked to the right people. On the other hand some appraisers have lived in the area their whole career and are still geographically incompetent. It all depends.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
(where's the sarcasm emoticon?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks