• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Inheritable Estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Ok folks, I'm having a brain meltdown. Can somebody please tell me what the definition of inheritable estate is. I'm drawing a blank for the definition and I can't find it in USPAP or my handy dandy Appraisal Institute dictionary.m2:

Jennette Picinich

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I could be wrong, but is'nt that the same as a fee simple estate?

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Yes and no. The report I'm trying to finish up is for an estate and I would like to include the definition in the report to c.m.a. I swear this one term is gonna drive me to drinking.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
I have never heard the term. However, the conditions in which the appraisal was ordered (loan, estate, taxes) should have little to do with the interest appraised. The interest appraised is based on encumbrances. If there are no leases that typically means fee simple. If there is a lease than leased fee. If there are various owners possibly partial interest, etc.

Last edited:

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Not sure where you picked up that term, but I've never heard of it and I would suggest you stay away at trying to define it.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
It is part of, or was a part of, the definition of Fee Simple interest ... an inheritible estate .. I have read it. Check the Dictionary of Real Estate Appraisal by the Appraisal Institute ... mine is at the office but Im sure that is where the definition or reference to the term lies.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Nothing complicated about it. An inheritable estate is an estate that can be inherited. It is not a technical term, but rather the common terms used to define technical term fee simple.

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Thanks guys and gals.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I found this in Real Estate Appraisal Terminology, The American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers & The Society of Real Estate Appraisers ... First Edition, 1975, Ballinger Publishing Company, compiled and edited by Byrl N. Boyce, Ph.D., Center for Real Estate and Urban Economic Studies, University of Connecticut .....

FEE SIMPLE -- An absolute fee; a fee without limitations to any particular class of heirs or restrictions, but subject to the limitations of eminent domain, escheat, police power and taxation. An inheritable estate.

For those wanting to know .... it does exist and it is real. Surprised some of you "seasoned" institute members dont recall it ... heck from 1975 maybe its before all our time .. but I knew I had read it.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
The words "inheritable estate" used in the above definition are only describing a characteristic of a fee simple estate. "Inheritable estate" is not being used as a standalone term by itself. It is simply stating that if you own something in fee simple then that interest in inheritable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks