• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Innovation is here - electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

john snyder

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Chrysler unveils four new electric vehicles. GM has the new volt. 2010 is the year.

The idiots ruling is nearly over as soon as congress votes this week and hopefully the new executive branch is innovative in Jan. 2009.

Due to a long economic hangover into 2009-innovation and recovery delayed until 2010 with the auto industry leading the way. Hope inflation does not send interest rates thru the roof.

By the way if the powers think 700B is okay to cover then a few B for innovation is required as well.

jbs

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
Electric cars have been here for a long time. Problem is they're not the godsend that everyone thinks they are. Where is the electric coming from? Is it from a fossil fuel? If so, producing electric for the electric car is a more intensive use of resources that simply powering the car with the fossil fuel.

Also, please try to avoid the political discussions. Politics can't change fundamental physical laws, even though they believe they can.:)

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
We would be in a world of hurt if electric cars were the norm around here. What would one do if their power was out for an extended period of time? We still have people without electric service 9 days after the winds from Ike hit this area.

Michigander

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would like to see more diesel cars on the road. The newer diesels can be run on biodiesel fuels and there isn't a huge shortage (yet) of materials that can be turned into biofuels. McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. have tons of fat from frying, much of it that can be recycled into fuels as well.

Hybrid technology that allows the use of both electric and gas is good, and we need more options in that way. Also simply smaller cars with better gas mileage helps a lot, as well as slowing down and not coming to fast stops or starts saves gas tremendously.
Big problem with small cars is the fear a lot of folks associate with them when confronted with the enormous SUVs that are the norm in parts of the country. Until these big honkers start to disappear from the roads, we won't have a mass exodus to the smaller vehicles IMNSHO.

Dan/Fla

Professional Status
State
Florida
I want a car that I can plug in and or gas up in my garage, Electric, Natural Gas, Hydrogen. I remember seeing this show about 20 years ago. Which showed in development Hydrogen gas car something like a propane tank but with a hydrogen tank. Yes they showed how much more safe it really was in comparison to Gasoline and or propane gas. Though this documentary was made in the mid 1980's they ended with some sort of panel discussing the pro's and con's of it and how you could use your garden hose and this machine and make your own fuel. They stated the technology was already here and predicted, that in the early 90's over half the homes could have this in their garage, with new home being built with this conversion machine already in the garage. Though I do not remember all the in and outs of it I do remember this 1 man stating that it will never happen. Not because it is not a good idea, Not because it can not be done safely, But because the government will not allow it. The government will not allow anything like this till they can find a way to tax it. Gas Pumps are an easy way to measure and tax the fuel. Government wants tax in a way they can control. Has any one seen "who killed the electric car" movie? There they stated it was killed by GM and others. But if we can refuel or cars at home without a box to tell the government how much tax we owe why would government not fight it?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I just heard an ad on the radio where a business is selling electric scooters here in Knoxville. They get about 60 miles on a charge.

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I want a car that I can plug in and or gas up in my garage, Electric, Natural Gas, Hydrogen. I remember seeing this show about 20 years ago. Which showed in development Hydrogen gas car something like a propane tank but with a hydrogen tank. Yes they showed how much more safe it really was in comparison to Gasoline and or propane gas. Though this documentary was made in the mid 1980's they ended with some sort of panel discussing the pro's and con's of it and how you could use your garden hose and this machine and make your own fuel. They stated the technology was already here and predicted, that in the early 90's over half the homes could have this in their garage, with new home being built with this conversion machine already in the garage. Though I do not remember all the in and outs of it I do remember this 1 man stating that it will never happen. Not because it is not a good idea, Not because it can not be done safely, But because the government will not allow it. The government will not allow anything like this till they can find a way to tax it. Gas Pumps are an easy way to measure and tax the fuel. Government wants tax in a way they can control. Has any one seen "who killed the electric car" movie? There they stated it was killed by GM and others. But if we can refuel or cars at home without a box to tell the government how much tax we owe why would government not fight it?

Why not just build in an "average consumption" tax into your tags?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
That's great, stealing money from citizens to fund another mandate! Obama would love that plan... more taxes on the dumbmasses!

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
I think the most important information here about the new GM Volt is that it will be

MANUFACTURED IN AMERICA

The loss of jobs at the Big 3 have made a huge dent in the American economy.

Americans will turn to the Big 3 when the Big 3 turn to America.

If more cars were manufactured in America, we could actually run the old campaign

BUY AMERICAN MADE

and maybe see an uptick in the employment numbers at the automakers.

Can they hear me from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks