• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Inspection Reports File Copy Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Patton

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
A veteran appraiser friend and I had differing opinions on the necessity for requiring seller/realtor to provide appraiser with copies of all required inspections for permanent purposes. Veteran appraiser friend checks section 12 of Compliance Inspection Report form and feels it is only lender's responsibility to maintain copies of inspections. Rightly or wrongly, I have always insisted on copies of all inspections; i.e., electrical, structural, roofing, etc. rather than deferring to lender. Given the new FHA guidelines on Lender Discretionary items vs Required items, lately with multiple lenders it has become burdensome to have to followup with the lender's processor to check and see what the underwriter required, and if inspections or additional documentation was going to be required. (flat roof inspection issue) How are others handling this? Is it satisfactory to Check section 12 of the Compliance Report and disregard obtaining inspection reports for file. Can one note in the inspection report that "appraisal is subject to direct endorsement underwriter's acceptance of required inspection reports?" Ron Patton, Chattanooga, TN

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I never get a copy of the inpsection reports. Let the UW deal with it. How are you to know that the inspection report is ligitimate or not.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
FWIW, as a Home Inspector, my inspection reports only have one intended user, the prospective buyer. The inspection report is not intended to be used by appraisers, UWs, lenders, realtors, or their 3rd cousin Ralph that once worked as an electrician for a weekend. Just as in appraisals, the client is the intended user, period.

realbiz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
If I am reading the OP question correctly, he is doing a CIR based on an appraisal condition. If this is the case, you can not sign off without reviewing a copy of the required inspection (electrical, roof, etc.). If this is the case you should have a copy, how else can you sign off? Always get a copy and keep in your file. As far as it being ligitimate, that more proof for you that the client commited fraud if it is not. Now if the OP is talking about a "home inspection report", then no you do not need a copy, and in most cases you will never receive a copy.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I don't sign off on inspections. That is for the UW to do

Ron Patton

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Realbiz, I am referring to appraisal FHA final inspections only. Trying to get a cross section of how appraisers are handling the compliance form and position regarding if typical appraiser is requiring a copy of various inspections required (electrical, roofing, structural,etc). Seems to be a mixed school of thought. Historically, I have always operated from the position that I wanted a copy of all inspections; if electrical or plumbing, I require license; if structural, professional engineering stamp. Utility district letter on official stationary verifying public sewer inspection. Maybe I am making it too tough, or am not properly interpreting Compliance Inspection Form. Have been doing FHA appraisals since '94; and did VA for more than a year before I decided the hassle in getting paid was not worth it. Appreciate all feedback. Ron Patton

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Ron, I do think you are making this tougher than it has to be. Let the UW take care of the inspections. You are only supposed to report on the MPR items that you mentioned in the original appraisal report. How are you to know that the reports you receive are ligitimate or not? I have never been given an inspection report and I have been doing FHA appraisals since 1995.

realbiz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Personally, if I make the report subject to an inspection by a licensed professional (roof, electrical, plumbing, etc.) I will not complete the CIR. The lender obtains the clearance from the licensed professional. I only use the CIR for items that I need to inspect (paint surfaces, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks