• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Installing from a backup drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemeasure

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
The other day, windows and internet explorer 6 seemed to become corrupted. Explorer will not start and the "my computer" icon opens and then I get a not responding. I have tried everything that I came across on the web. I can get on the web with Mozilla, but need explorer for MLS. ACI does work.

It seem that something called data execution prevention is turning off allot of the functionality of windows. I always have on anti-virus and the web root spyware program. I have tried to shut this off, the data execution prevention, as per microsoft support articles, but nothing works.

I have a copy of my entire computer backed up on an external drive. If I try a reinstall, will it lock up ACI? I do have a service conntract with them.

Does anyone have any experience with this.

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
The other day, windows and internet explorer 6 seemed to become corrupted. Explorer will not start and the "my computer" icon opens and then I get a not responding. I have tried everything that I came across on the web. I can get on the web with Mozilla, but need explorer for MLS. ACI does work.

It seem that something called data execution prevention is turning off allot of the functionality of windows. I always have on anti-virus and the web root spyware program. I have tried to shut this off, the data execution prevention, as per microsoft support articles, but nothing works.

I have a copy of my entire computer backed up on an external drive. If I try a reinstall, will it lock up ACI? I do have a service conntract with them.

Does anyone have any experience with this.

What OS are you running?

If it is XP try System Restore and restore to a date you are certain you did not have this problem on or before

eyemeasure

Professional Status
State
New York
I am running xp with service pack 2. I tried system restore 4 times and it did not solve the problem. This is very strange.

If I have to get a new computer, the problem is that most computer come with 64 bit vista. ACI techs told me only to get 32 bit. This now becomes another problem.

eyemeasure

Professional Status
State
New York
I am using XP with service pack 2. I tried system restore 4 times and I still have the same problem. This is very strange. If I have to restore windows, then I would rather buy a new computer.

ACI said to get vista 32 bit. The problem is that the new computers come with 64 bit.

Edward OConor

Professional Status
State
New York
Have you tried to upgrade explorer to #7. It will work with LIBOR. You may have some issues with popups for printing. I had to always allow popups for them.

I hate that LIBOR only supports explorer.

eyemeasure

Professional Status
State
New York
Last week I tried to upgrade to IE7 and it did not work. So I did another system retore back to IE6.

This past Monday, IE6 and the my computer icon started working. Windows is still acting weird.

Every morning I get a partial white square on my screen and it is locked up.

I have not shut off my computer for 5 years, I get my faxes into it. Now, I have to shut off the power every day and restart.

At least , this week it is working. I have been reluctant to restore a working image from a few weeks ago.

I keep getting the upgrade to SP 3 reminddr, which I did not do yet.

I know that it is time for a new computer , But I like my old Wind. XP one.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Bruce if you are going to reload ACI be sure to call them first and UNINSTALL your current copy or you will be paying for a new one.

On for five years, sounds like your power supply unit is failing. You can still get Windows XP preloaded directly from the major builders like Dell, HP and Gateway.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Her is an example:

Dell Vostro 410 Tower starting at $499
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader [add $30]
Total of $529 shipped.

System Details
Intel® Core™2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz,3MB L2Cache,1066FSB)
FREE Genuine Vista® Business Bonus w/ XP Professional downgrade Installed a $99 value
No Pre-installed Productivity Software
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service
No Monitor
3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHZ - 2X1GB+2X512MB
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
No Modem Option
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Dell Energy Smart Enabled
McAfee Total Protection for Small Business 30-day Subscription
Adobe Acrobat Reader
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Optical USB Mouse
Free Microsoft Office Live Small Business
Also Included
Vista Premium Downgrade Transactional Desktop
Integrated PCIe Gb NIC Ethernet

eyemeasure

Professional Status
State
New York
Thanks,
There is a great store here called Micro Center. There are about 8 stores in the whole country. I have bought their house brand called Power Spec. I have had 3 of them with no problems. For my purposes, they have a few models for $399.

ACI told me that whatever I do, do not get 64 bit or ACI and Winsketch will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks