• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

insulation in crawl space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

Freshman Member
Subject does not have insulation in ithe crawl space between the joists. Is this a requirement for existing construction? Also What milimeter/gauge of plastic is needed for the crawl space floor?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Doug:

I would simply mention the lack of insulation (depending on where you are located) and if it SHOULD be present reccomend that it be brought to an adquate level for the climate/area in which it sits. If you are in an area where such is not uncommon, fergiddit, other than to make the report that it isn't there.

T'aint your job to require anything code related, except actual health and safety issues. Just report the lack and let the underwriter make the call.

Background is that the old FHA system and forms required you to indicate adequate, inadequate or non-existant. They tossed the baby out with the bathwater and now for the most part all you should do is indicate if it is present and how many inches there are.

B

Bemis Pownall

90% of homes in my area dont have insulation in the crawl space what so ever. We do have cold winters. No insulation no prob. There was a thread a while back about palstic on crawl space floor you might try to locate it. Not a big deal usually.

rtubbs

Flooring insulation is not a requirement of existing construction or new construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks