• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Okay, here is my dumb question for the week. Got a nice little cabin, but it's an older home built in 1960. It has electric base board heat, common for this area, but only has R-16 insulation in the attic. In all honesty, this too is not uncommon as most homes are summer vacation homes. But if I remember correctly, FHA requires R-30. My old FHA mentor ground into my head that it HAS to be R-30.

Is R-30 a requirement, or is it what ever is considered "typical for the market"? Getting tired and double questioning myself :scrambled: ..... just need a bit of help to straighten me out. :rotate:

Mell. :ph34r:

BenLuby

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
Mel,
I think it is R-19 now. No longer R-30.

BenLuby

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
Mel,
I think it is R-19 now. No longer R-30. All it really is is a thickness. Most ceilings are now blown, so it is measured similar, but not quite the same. It may look two feet thick a week after they blow it, but give it a year. Settles nicely.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Thanks Ben. I always looked to see if it is at the top of the rafters, or that is the way I was taught. This is a little less.......but like you said, it could have been at the top once and have settled.

I'm not really going to make a big issue out of this as the house is in good shape, and cute as a button. Opps, sorry...... starting to sound like a RE salesman again. :p

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Mel

I don't think FHA has an insulation requirement anymore. Your mentor was probably around during the days when we used to break out the monthly cost of utilities for FHA. If the home didn't have adequate insulation, the heating costs would be excessive for the buyer, possibly resulting in foreclosure. We also had to check for floor insulation if the home had EBB heat and require it if it didn't have it. We also had to check to ensure that the insulation's vapor barrier was installed correctly, that is, toward the heated side of the floor to prevent wet rot of the floor joists.

But come to think of it, there's that statement somewhere in 4150.2 that the systems must have reasonable future utility, durability and economy..you get to figure out economy :D :D

Ben

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
*Adeq
or
*Min

bottom line:
*R Factor Unknown

The choices are according to what it looks like. I ain't measuring insulation that I can't reach most of the time anyway. You want a picture? I got that. Every once in a while one gets *Good

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Hey Pam,

You gotta learn the old FHA "word" for rating things......."Typical" :D :D

Ben

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Average???? For FHA??? The word "average" doesn't exist in the old FHA vocabulary. Even the field reviews were rated poor, fair, good and excellent. Nope. No average back then.

Ben

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Well, I used Avg/Typcial and let it go.

Looooong day, thanks for helping me shake the cob webs out..... :huh:

I can make it, I can make it, I can make it one more week and a half!!!! :) :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks