• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Intended Use/intended User Of An Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
If I am buying or refinancing a home and I am paying for the appraisal, why am I not an intended use?

Let's assume I am signing the mortgage and the appraisal I paid for was for the mortgagee.

Last edited:

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
you are with FHA. you weren't before.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
2016-17 USPAP AO-36: Identification and Disclosure of Client, Intended Use, and Intended Users

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The "intent" in the phrases intended use and intended user is a reference to the intent of the appraiser, not the intent of any other party

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I just don't like the system with the borrower/homeowner relying heavily on the appraisal even though they are not an intended use/user because I feel like they are. I can look them in the face and say I was as unbiased as possible and explain to them any unconfidential information I can if they ask.

The main perpetrators of mortgage fraud were not homeowners/borrowers or the public in general.

Last edited:

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
The bankers and their devilish agents do not operate on USPAP. They need to keep the public in the dark. The borrower only needs to pay for the appraisal and they will take care of the rest. More free market.

Professional Status
State
Florida
Why would a borrower wish to be designated as a user? I can only think of two - to mis-use the appraisal (for an unintended purpose that might require a greater scope... i.e. IRS, litigation, etc.) and/or to have legal recourse to pressure/punish an appraiser for any number of reasons. The way it is reduces these possibilities and keeps the appraisal at arms length so the loan is more saleable.

KHS445

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Michigan
Looking at it from a simplistic standpoint, the buyer has already (prior to the date of the appraisal) made the decision to purchase the property and the lender is using the appraisal to decide if they are going to finance the transaction.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
In all reality there does not need to be a named intended user, only an intended use. More controlling and dividing from our friends from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks