• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Interesting Article on Black Mold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying the same thing for years and was pooh-poohed by all.
It just another envirnonmental buzz word to replace lead, radon, etc.
Ever notice the photos everybody points to as an example - a bath filled with mold from ceiling to floor several inches thick - I ask you, what idiot
lets a bathroom get in that condition before they fix the leak and clean the damn mold off the walls ?

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Take as many steps back as U want, Today's lawyer Buzz word is MOLD. Does not matter rather your right or wrong it's the cost of defending yourself that the lawyer's use. Cheaper for insurance to pay than defend.

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
Good article. Thanks.

I have always held that the appraiser's job is to determine value; not environmental condition. Of course, if there is evidence that mold will lower the value of a property, then you are obligated to take it into account. In my market, there has been little evidence (so far) to this effect. I just did one the other day that had some mold from a known cause; the former owner let the washer hook-up drip after disconnecting the washer. My response: list it, (probable cost to cure is a new piece of drywall) and recommend a home inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks