• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

interesting conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoTetherow

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nebraska
appraiser: had a problem with that Delaney guy in DOSL

me: oh? I know him and think he is super.

appraiser: yeah, they had a complaint against me.

me: oh? (actually knew a lot about it)

appraiser: yeah, but i called my congressman and he made it go away.

me: oh really??

me..to myself...oh this is great....NOT

James Micozzi

Professional Status
State
New York
appraiser: had a problem with that Delaney guy in DOSL

me: oh? I know him and think he is super.

appraiser: yeah, they had a complaint against me.

me: oh? (actually knew a lot about it)

appraiser: yeah, but i called my congressman and he made it go away.

me: oh really??

me..to myself...oh this is great....NOT

Jo,

this should no surprise you. the "good ole boy" network at work. :Eyecrazy:

Jimmy

Edward OConor

Professional Status
State
New York
I can understand your frustrations, but if you have never worked in government you can not understand.

If you don't know how serious the complaint was...

I had a divorce appraisal that I sent to the attorney (who hired me). I got paid at the door. I sent the appraisal to the lawyer. Later the woman decides she doesn't want to get divorced and files a complaint with the DOS that she never got a hard copy (not my responsibility) and wants her money back. The inspector didn't want to hear that the lawyer was my client and had a copy of the report. He didn't even want to investigte with the lawyer.

Some complaints are BS.

I took the path of least resistance and gave the state inspector the fee to return to her. Like spending all day in court fighting a $50.00 parking ticket.

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Ed...that is why the attorney should be sending you the check for the job....

Jo...any chance of following up on that claim?? and seeing if this is what really happened..

JoTetherow

Professional Status
State
Nebraska
Jo...any chance of following up on that claim?? and seeing if this is what really happened..

since i have non public knowledge, i cannot give any paticulars. i will have to wait until the news letter comes out to see if the appraisers name is on it. if it is not then what he says is, in all probability, the truth.

i can say that while i knew this guys name, i had never met/talked with him before today. He seems like a decent guy, been in the profession forever and seems as concerned about the industry as a whole as we are. i let him do 99% of the talking. did not hear anything that would make me suspect he wasnt decent. he told me stories about an appraiser in the mid part of the state that was supervising trainees all over the state, checking did inspect, etc. and how bad it was that this was happening. i knew the name, DOLS is investigating him now. i know cause i filed a formal complaint.

Eli Weiss

Professional Status
State
New York
And who is that congressman? can he take care of my parking tickets? :unsure:

Edward OConor

Professional Status
State
New York
he told me stories about an appraiser in the mid part of the state that was supervising trainees all over the state, checking did inspect, etc. and how bad it was that this was happening. i knew the name, DOLS is investigating him now. i know cause i filed a formal complaint.

While I will agree the if this story is true what he is doing is wrong, but if the state is investigating based on a complaint that you filed as an "I was told" hearsay is just as wrong.

IMHO if you filed a complaint based on rumor that is just as wrong. If you don't have some kind of proof...

That means that I could I could pick an appraiser out of the phone book and cause him/her all sorts of trouble for nothing.

Brockway

Professional Status
State
New York
While I will agree the if this story is true what he is doing is wrong, but if the state is investigating based on a complaint that you filed as an "I was told" hearsay is just as wrong.

IMHO if you filed a complaint based on rumor that is just as wrong. If you don't have some kind of proof...

That means that I could I could pick an appraiser out of the phone book and cause him/her all sorts of trouble for nothing.

Hi Edward,

I worked with Jo for several years. I can assure you that she would not file a complaint based on heresay. You misread her comment. She did not file the complaint after speaking with this other appraiser. She had already filed the complaint and was not surprised when the name came up in conversation.

Just sticking up for Jo... :)

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Think about it Ed.

how often does that happen? How often have you (me and every other appraiser on here) let something go after having hard evidence that fraud was being committed knowing that although it was fraudulent, it would probably go nowhere with the state? Rest assured, if I'm sending it upstate it is glaring. I'm sure everyone else here does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks