• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Interesting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenTestin

Sophomore Member
Hi everyone,

My friend James told me about his situation earlier today. It got me thinking about possible problems in changing mentors. He stated that he worked for his 1st mentor for six months, and things did not go well. They basically just did not get along well. So, he made copies of all his appraisals and workfile stuff, and moved on. Now, two years later, he is preparing to send in his stuff for full licensing. An affidavit is part of the application. The guy refuses to sign the Supervisor affidavit documenting the fact he did the work. The guys is still mad Jim went elsewhere and became a money maker for a competitor.

I was thinking about moving on to a new mentor because my current one has no work for me. I love her, but my husband has indicated that he would rather see me doing a couple assignments a week and work a part time job, then 1 assignment every week or so and basically work a full time job. Even though we are good financially, he would like to see me do a greater volume of appraisals, as he states " that is the only way to learn".

If I go, and get copies of my work, can my mentor stop any of that from counting by simply not signing the application form? My friend Jim has 40 appraisals he is basically not going to count now, and just work another few months. He did the work, and should get credit for it I think.

Helen

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
A call to your state board should answer your questions.
If the appraisals that your friend did with his previous mentor indicate that he participated in the appraisals with the mentor's supervisory signature, then there is sufficient evidence that he is due some credit toward his log.

I have a difficult time believing that a miffed off former mentor has any right to deny a trainee what is due, and if it takes that person getting a call from their state board to set them straight then so be it.

David Riggs

Sophomore Member
Work for both. There is nothing wrong with having more than one. Find 3 or 4 or 5, what ever it takes to keep you busy. You may find one that will keep you busy or settle on a couple.

Right now I have two and that keeps me working more than I really want. Usually the work I do is whatever the mentor does not want to, ie jobs far out or jobs that take longer,,ie REO's.

-david

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
David,

That option of working for different 'supervisors' is state specific and not available in Florida unless the 2 certified supervisors are within the same office. I'm only assuming that Florida isn't the only state with rules like this.... but it might be.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Helen,

Do as Dee Dee says. Have your friend call the State Board and ask the question just as you addressed it. I would belive that the state would have some way around this. They may simply ask for copies of the reports to prove that his/her name is in them and what he/she did on each appraisal. Whatever is the reason it would simply require your friend to call the state first and find out from the state what is required.

Gina Leone

Freshman Member
Helen,

Don't know your location, but here in NH the supervisor is required to sign the experience log at LEAST once per month. It is the apprentices' responsibility to have the supervisor sign the log.

Like the others stated, check with the state board, I found all the NH info online, including all grievance procedures!

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
If your friend has copies of the appraisals he completed he should submit them with a statement that the supervisor refuses to cooperate. In most cases a phone call from the state board to the supervisor will make the problem go away.

HelenTestin

Sophomore Member
Thanks everyone,

I will pass this info/advice on to Jim. And, I will make sure I have everything I need to get signed done before I do anything. His situation just made me think about what the consequences of leaving and working somewhere else might be.

I plan on giving it more time as I really like my mentor. Sometimes I want to go and try a busier appraisal business, and other times that 1 appraisal a week will eventually get me to where I can become licensed as well, without learning new software and someone elses way of doing it.

Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks