• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Internet Access In The Hinterland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Living where I do in Northern Michigan, we have a problem with Internet access. Here they are briefly:

1. No cable available and most likely won't be until 2063

2. Phone service people (also ISP) says DSL is 2 to 3 years down the road, if then.

3. Wireless guys in Gaylord say that if I put up a tower 10-15 feet higher than the 80 foot trees on my land, I might be able to get a signal to the main antenna 9.8 miles away. Big ugly 120 feoot tower with guy wires is not appealing.

4. No satellite TV as no clear shot to the satellite due to the tree height anywhere on my land.

5. Currently using dial-up with speeds ranging from 19 to 45kbps.

Any suggestions on what I could possibly do. I can live with slower outgoing by sending reports at lunch time or after work but the downloading of MLS data/photos (7 MLS's) and other data is really slowing me down.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

BTW, moving is not an option.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Move? Kidding of course Richard. I know that isn't an option from you prior posts. I have a friend in your same exact position. Can't get anything. The other day he asked me to pull a tax card on my data provider. I did so instantly. He responded "You mean you got it that fast?". I was like chinese water torture or something. I'm sorry. Hopefully someone will know something. But without satellite, you may be in trouble.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I was in the same situation until last fall when finally a wireless tower was installed about two miles from my house--still get static when the wind blows the trees around between me and the tower. But with the dialup, I scheduled sending of reports while eating lunch, going on an appointment, time to file, etc, etc. I also used a second computer for sending only. Saved my pdf file to a diskette, loaded that specific file to the second computer, sent it on its way--then was able to continue working on my computer. Would download MLS, etc at 5AM when nobody else was on the line. And then I got wireless, occasionally slow and at 5PM not usable for sending reports because that is when all the shift workers get home from the copper mine and the prisons and they start internet surfing so things get bogged down. But with dial up you just have to schedule for slow times. It would take 45 minutes or longer for a report to be emailed with dialup. With the wireless it is less than 5 minutes.

The Matrix

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
Before cable was available in my area, I used an ISDN line. The speed was very acceptable. ISDN involves using 2-phone lines to increase the speed of internet access from 56K to 112K, and requires a special modem. You will need to check with your phone company to see if ISDN service is available in your area.

Regards,

David Wilson

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
Couple options for consideration:

- New ISP compression sw which reportedly increases transfer speed up to 5x. Works when transferring some info/files, but not all (such as video). EarthLink is running a special trial period for this. Not all ISP's are providing this because it is not an agreed upon standard.

- New ISP connection which goes thru your power lines, approx 5x faster than dial up modem. I saw this advertised on the news one evening, haven't been able to find any additional info. It was reportedly in beta test on the east coast.

I have similar problems, still looking for an acceptable solution.

Larboard

Professional Status
State
Michigan
David has the right idea with ISDN.

In addition to checking with the phone company, you need to find an Internet Service Provider that supports dual channel ISDN. Some don't. Dual channel is needed for 128Kb. Single channel provides 56Kb.

ISDN is a digital service, you pick up some efficiency by eliminating the digital to analog and analog to digital conversion used with standard dial-up. If you can get only single channel ISDN, running at 56Kb, you will still see an improvement over an analog 56Kb line.

How did you get left out of the Governor’s plan to assure that broadband was available throughout the state? :)

Bruce

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I guess Bruce that they figured we had electricity and that should be enough for us folks in the snow belt. Next thing you know, we would all want indoor plumbing if we got too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks