• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Internet Wash...Don't Try It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
What a nightmare!!! I've been 3 hours working on trying to restore my settings and get my PDF to work again! I tryed the "trial version" of this and, yes, it washed my internet clean, as it said. But, it erased all my passwords (it's hell looking all those up again) and it erased my settings in Acrobat Writer. I sent 3 pdf files and after I sent them, I tryed to open them to print my copy. The message was "There was an error opening this document; the path does not exist"... :evil: I "think" I've got everything back, but I won't know until the lenders call me tomorrow to say they can't open the files. This is the last time I'm going to try one of these new fangled things. BEWARE! What a way to start a new year! :evil:

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
I looked up the company on the internet and filed my complaint, not to mention a few other things I had to tell them. I got an automated response saying "Thank You. We'll be in touch in 48 hours"......48 hours??? Thank goodness I didn't buy thing and start looking for support! 48 hours is like a month in this business! It's called Internet Washer. Take my advice! :evil:

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Thanks for the warning. Good Luck!

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
By the way, my computer tech says that the Microsoft updates that they try to send to individual computers caused big time problems for one of his clients. He ended up having to reformat the hard drive. He told me to never download the updates from Microsoft.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
He told me to never download the updates from Microsoft.

Judy, Now I know that :roll:. Thanks for the response and I repeat....What A New Year's Day!!! :evil:

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
That explains my problems from last week. I did exactly the same on a home computer. Wiped out my settings and had to reformat the HD and start over. The data is backed up but reloading all the software and drivers takes time. Those little prompts to automatically update sucked me in.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Well,

I'm using WinDoze2K/Pro .. have installed every correction from M/S .. and never had a problem ..

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Charlotte Dixon said:
He told me to never download the updates from Microsoft.

Some of the updates are security updates and are very important. Some (perhaps many) won't apply to you. But to say never download any of them is a very irresponsible statement. Sort of like saying don't take your car back to the dealership for a safety recall.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I suppose everybody has to make that decision for themselves. I have taken his advice most of the time, and some of the time I did what I thought was correct procedure for me to do. It is possible that the person who had to have his computer reformatted did something wrong other than downloading updates.

I have owned, worked on, spit at, and marveled at my computers for five years -prior to that it was the other office I worked for that had to worry about these things.

During all of this time, only the last year or so did I begin receiving "critical update reports" from Microsoft. There was a setting that somehow got turned on. My observation was that they were primarily trying to sell you programs or updates along with the "critical updates."

To keep my computers running properly (I have 4) I do regular maintenance on them by deleting old files and programs not needed, cleaning up the temp files regularly, scan disk, defrag and in general keeping everything "clean." I pay for tech support, have a great computer tech to help me with the hardware, and (knock on wood) have very, very few problems. I keep my office computer stuff separate from my personal email, and only use my personal computer at home for personal things. It is the one that the anti-virus program catches all of the "worms" and viruses.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
During all of this time, only the last year or so did I begin receiving "critical update reports" from Microsoft. There was a setting that somehow got turned on. My observation was that they were primarily trying to sell you programs or updates along with the "critical updates.

Judy, you are getting something other than critical updates if your getting something trying to sell you programs or to pay for updates. Critical update is just that, important updates to existing software on your computer and they are free. They are to fix bugs in the software and often they are newly discovered flaws that allow hackers to get into your computer. I have never had a solicitation come from Critical Update from MS.

I don't install every update they send me. I always read and "TRY" to understand what they are for and if they apply to me. But I have never gotten anything offering me software or trying to sell me new software. I think the critical update is a very good thing. If notifies you as soon as they realease a patch and it gives you the option of to learn what it is about and then you chose to install or not to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks