• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Irritating phone conversation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
I was at my other job today, when I got a call on my mobile. The call is from another appraiser from Indy - one I do not know, nor do I care to know - now. He told me who he was, and basically, he wanted me to do a comp search for him in my area. Says to me, "If I give you the address, can you tell me if it is feasible to get $300,000 to $325,000 on it? Me, "no.......I'm not at my computer, and I wouldn't do that anyway!! Why would you ask another appraiser to do a free comp search for you anyway?"

He says, "Well, I don't want to drive all the way to Muncie if it won't appraise, and my client wouldn't want to pay for one they couldn't use. He said that we just had to do things this way to keep clients, and I told him - "NO WE DON'T!!!" "I don't do free leg work, but then I don't get lots of work, because guys like YOU won't say NO!" Thinking to myself, if he does not have the resources to do his own research, why not refer it to someone who does!

He then had nerve enough to ask if there was someone else (another appraiser) he could call who would help him!!!!!! I told him he should not bother anyone else, and to look up listings on Realtor.com - which he had never heard of...........DUH!

I don't mind helping fellow appraisers that I know, and that I have established a past relationship through CE or other meetings or this forum, but this guy really struck a nerve!

I have had to call other appraisers that I do not know for information on assignments, but have always offered up front to pay them for their time and expertise. I would NEVER ask someone to look up "comps" for me to save driving time to a town I am not competant to cover.

William K

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I don't understand the problem:new_smile-l:
By the way could you also do all my research once I get the appraisal order and take my pictures and inspect the property for me, and fill out the first 3 pages of the 1004 and then after your ready to send it to me could you include a copy of your license and E%O.:new_all_coholic:

Thanks your great, and if I get any business in your area, I'll be sure to refer it to you.:rof:

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
So he is telling you right off he doesn't have the data base. How is he going to do the appraisal? I would assume no GC either.

But you know it not going to really change one bit.

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
You didn't happen to get the a-hole's name, did you?

Cookie

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Yeah - I got his name! His phone number is still on my mobile!

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I wonder if Pam would be interested, or maybe your state board.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Oh, I'm sure Pam will be interested.

Wm. Hattaway

Professional Status
State
Florida
May have been the mortgage broker pretending to be an appraiser hoping you would do a comp check. They have been known to fib.

Chris Caretti

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Unbelievable! If everyone would just say "NO" as you did we wouldn't have this problem. How about his geographic competence?? He doesn't seem to know the area or have the approriate database or MLS. For some reason many appraisers feel they must do this stuff to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks