• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Irv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Lombardi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Using IRV as a fast guideline, do I use Gross Income Potential, or Effective Gross Income?
Thanks

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
doing what?

Are you using a GROSS INCOME multiplier (GIM) or an EFFECTIVE GROSS multiplier (EGIM)? If you are talking residential and using monthly not annual income, then the GRM (Gross Rent Multipler) is a GROSS INCOME multiplier.

Typically a GIM would be used if you have little or no information about the actual expenses of the comparbles. Otherwise, you would develop an estimate of expenses and develop a NET OPERATING INCOME (NOI) for the subject and comparables. Then you would capitalize it into a value

Income = $50,000
Expense Ratio 50%
NOI = $25,000
Cap Rate (from calculating comparable sales) 12%

IRV = Value = 25,000 ÷ 12% = 208,333
(12% reciprocal = 8.33 and the above can be stated as 25,000 x 8.33)
Generally, however GIM are stated as multiplier numbers and cap rate/ NOI relationships as percentage which has to be divided into the NOI.

H.B. Userman

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
It depends what the incomes were that were used to extract the rates for the income that you're capitalizing.

farmguy

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
Thats a new one on me, the GIP

Louis Pompeo

Professional Status
State
Mariana Islands
Vif

When using Multipliers rather than rates you would be using VIF rather than IRV.
The 'F' is a factor rather than a rate. ('Factor' and 'Multiplier' are synonymous)
The income may be either EGI or PGI. The key here is to not interchange them - be consistent....either use ALL EGI's or ALL PGI's.
The resultant 'Factor' is known as a PGIM or an EGIM

Last edited:

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
What's the old phrase you show me vacancy, expense, income, and sale price and I'll show you a 100 different cap rates. Reflecting there is no standard...one of my favorite cliche expenses that never shows up in the real world is replacement reserves. Yet most banks fight tooth and nail to have that in the appraisal...when 100% of my data never has it included in their expenses when they sell. But that recon. is for another forum for another time, or is it....

CBBoston

Professional Status
General Public
State
Massachusetts
We too have a bank clients that requires replacement reserves. One even told us to reduce the cap rates we extracted from the market to adjust for the differece. Of course now that the market is soft they want to see higher cap rates than the market uses. We just can't seem to win. :Eyecrazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks