• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is 80 too old to be appraising?

Fernando

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Well, this is more an example of someone who should have stopped while WE were ahead!:giggle:
I thought he's doing a good job so far.
Mortgage rates down. Stock market up. Ted Cruz in trouble.

TerryRohrer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
I thought he's doing a good job so far.
Mortgage rates down. Stock market up. Ted Cruz in trouble.
Well, none of those are much of a barometer of anything. The reasons that the stock market is up and mortgage rates are down are problematic, and likely to worsen all economic trends in the future. Cruz and the other 534 folks living off us should go elsewhere so we could start with clean slate, but that won't happen as long as everyone is content to keep sending them back as long as the handouts reach the masses. But the $20 trillion in national debt added during the past 12 years has bought us nothing, compliments of both Democrats and Republicans. If the current regime gets even a fraction of their promises funded (by more borrowing or mortgaging our future), that will just mean more gas on the fire. The test will come when mortgage rates start to rise and the stock market plummets.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
With trillions pumped into the economy, how can the stock market plummets?
We're in the best scenario where trillions go into the economy with no inflation and the well to do get the benefits of the low mortgage rates.

TerryRohrer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Montana
With trillions pumped into the economy, how can the stock market plummets?
We're in the best scenario where trillions go into the economy with no inflation and the well to do get the benefits of the low mortgage rates.
Yer right, not a thing can go wrong. Time to live it up like its 1928!

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
At 80 there should be a mandatory requirement to have a Medical Alert Bracelet. I could be wrong, but I believe it is a USPAP requirement.

How does an 80-year old check the scuttle? There must be a joke in there somewhere. :rof:

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
Yer right, not a thing can go wrong. Time to live it up like its 1928!
Generally, politicians like to have a slowly growing economy and then it peaks on election year so to get reelected.
I don't know if mortgage rates will be as low as now in four years.

James Mpls

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
So great to hear Mike, about you being encouraged by the responses. Moving down to one or two assignments a week will certainly give you much more time to fish and enjoy your life in beautiful CO (Love it there). You are an inspiration; I’ve been on the VA panel here in MN for 10+ years and could see completing a couple a week still if I could still hack it when I am your age.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Mike, it's the thing you want to do; keep the mind working, best medicine over 65 - 1-4 a week is ample cause we don't need the money, but like the mental exercise.

Repubs or Dems doesn't matter, their combined skill set over the past 20 years has been a disaster; both sides appear to benefit while in office....perhaps it's time for Term Limits to get fresh, unbiased minds working.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I just turned 79 and am still appraising full time. Well, actually only working 4 days a week. I'm on the VA panel and that all I do...VA appraisals. My license expires the end of this year and I will be 80 in January. Wondering how many of you are still appraising at 80 years of age or more. Thinking about renewing for another two years???
Congrats Mike. I know you've been an honest, ethical appraiser for a long time. Some people "cant" not work. They would go crazy sitting around. Others love the free time and adapt immediately..You deserve either. I would make sure I smell the roses and enjoy life. If you don't need the money I would consider renewing, just so you dont lose it, but not appraise much at all. Lifes too short. Enjoy life, travel, fish, breathe...Just my take. Good luck either way.

NP_MAI

Professional Status
State
Florida
I am a long way from "retirement," but I dont know that I am the type of person that cannot work. I enjoy the challenge and as long as that is the case, i'll keep going.

If you enjoy what you are doing, why not?

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks