• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is anyone as clumsy as me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
About 2 months ago, I was on a great routine of running on the treadmill at my work (assessing office) in the basement at lunch. Then one day, I wiped out. And I haven't been back since.
It's a combination of things - the fear of what could have happened (believe me, I envisioned it dozens of times before the day it occured. Trust me - It looked just like that.), along with the fear of what could be.
My skin is still on that treadmill from my fight to regain my step. Loooong white stripes of it.
I cannot bring myself to step back on.
So, in a quest to lose this baby weight (6 month old daughter) my husband and I joined the YMCA. There we take Swimming classes with the baby on Saturday mornings (she's like a fish), and I take Step Aerobics and a "sit ups" class on Monday and Wednesday evenings.
I like to be right in the front, so I can see the instructor and therefore keep on track. There are about 50 people in the class on Monday nights, so you have to get there early to get a good spot.
So last night there we are, traversing the step from side to side, the long way, and wouldn't you know it.
My ankle rolls, and down I go. Should I give up the step aerobics too? I'm scared of that thing? When is someone else going to fall down? I'm twenty eight stinkin' years old!

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I've seen many people wipe out on treadmills, they are a menace to society. Just kidding, but they are very dangerous. There is plenty of other aerobic equipment which is more safe to use. It sounds like you better not take up roller blading :)

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Might need to double check your work out shoes and your personal habits regarding pronation and supination of your foot. May make you more prone to foot rolls, particularly in a side step movement. Might need to see a podiatrist for orthotic insole inserts etc. I used to have problems with rolling my ankles wearing work boots. Doc said wear low or no heel shoes/boots and fresh orthotic insoles every few months.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Lemme take a swipe at this...

Liz, my guess, and these are all guesses?

You were moderately athletic in your youth. Average or better at sports if you decided to get into them, always had a decent figure, but maybe struggled only very slightly with your weight.

Now, are you in your early-mid 30's?

Your mind is just as coordinated as it used to be, but your body lags behind. you are going to have to do less than your mind tells you that you can do for a little while until your body catches up. Those old neural pathways will re-sync in about 6 months.

If you are older than that, or you weren't very athletic in your younger days, it will take longer, as you will have to train your mind/body to work together....all those little muscles that help to stabilize you when you are in motion will need time to strengthen back up.

Be careful of knees and ankles especially, but shoulders will give you a fit too. Stretch half as much as you think you should before hand, and twice as much as you think you should afterwards.

It is primarily the weakness of your tendons at the point they attach to your muscles, and your muscle's inability to stabilze the tendons that cause this....as your muscles retrain, they literally "creep" back down your tendons, making the fulcrum point created by the distance from your joint to the attachment point of the tendon less of a stress factor--hence, less twisted ankles. Though often when you stress your ankle, you can often twist the bone to bone ligaments at the same time. They take a long time to heal.

So, I feel your pain...after years of laying off, I got back in to martial arts and my brain wayyy exceeded my body's abilities. 2 broken feet, a separated shoulder and a dislocated finger later.....I am back to being like a 22 yr old again....

Sometimes pain IS just weakness leaving the body.

Good luck. Swimming is probably the safest route, just stretch out your shoulders really well. And never go in cold. Even if the water is.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Don't feel bad.

Last April I pulled out my mountain bike and went for a spring test drive, checking out all the equipment. At a slow roll, I proceeded to test the front shocks, bouncing up and down and my front tire grabbed the soft spring soil. I then flipped head first over the handle bars and attacked the earth like a Super Bowl tackle with my left shoulder. I did not lose consciousness but heard a slight snap. The pain was insane. I looked around the 80 acres surrounding me, hoping no deer or turkey saw my stupid human trick. Gosh it hurt. I took a hot shower and went to bed.
Went to work the next day, without my typical tie on because it was being used to hold up my unusuable left arm. My boss sent me to the hospital where I found out I snapped my scapula. Took me 6 months to be able to button my pants, I love my wife.

I WILL get back on it again this spring! Don't laugh Wayne!

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Larry - Great Post.
I'm 28. I played high school volleyball and tennis, but no sports in college. Also, I was quite the equestrian back when my parents would pay for it. Another thing that ended in college.
I look at pictures of myself in the end of high school, and can't figure out what I didn't like about my body. But here I am 10 years later wanting to post a notice in the newspaper to all 18 year olds : Enjoy it now sisters! It's only going to get worse! Now I'm still about 10 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, which was 20 lbs higher than I'd prefer to be.
Honestly, I'm 5'7", and currently 175. I'd PREFER to be 145 like I ws when I got married 2.5 years ago... I drank a lot of water that summer....
I think you have a great point about my mind being ahead of my body. While I was pregnant, I started feeling so dislocated that I felt like an amoeba - with all of my joints clunking around while I ambled through my life awaiting my bundle of joy and the opportunity to regain my old self.
Here I am, attempting to do exactly that, and finding that my body is not the body I remember!
I refuse to be embarassed.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Might need to double check your work out shoes and your personal habits regarding pronation and supination of your foot. May make you more prone to foot rolls, particularly in a side step movement.

I'm duck footed. That was my problem with the treadmill. I wasn't even running yet - still warming up at the walk, and I stepped to wide. Too busy watching the TV that dangles from the ceiling down there.
I sure am describing myself to be quite the circus freak!

I think the elliptical might be more my speed.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I don't say this to sound bragadocious, but to make a point about treadmills.

I am 6 foot, 180, Bench 225 just for high rep maintenance, go to gym 4 times a week, take 2 hr class in karate/judo 2 times a week....

And I won't step foot on a treadmill. They are bad bad bad.

Only cadio I do on a machine is either rowing, or the elliptical. Better on your joints.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Geez - you're way more athletic than me...
I'm never getting on a treadmill again.

Good word, by the way, Bragadocious... lol!

Suz-E

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Liz, don't give up on any of it. You're daughter is only 6 months old. It will take at least 9-12 months for your hormones to get back to normal. I can relate. I was an exercise addict for many years prior to having my son. I wish I had the time to devote to that type of strict regimen once again.

I remember, VERY WELL, having the same balance issues as you have post-baby. I also had major surgery 1 month after having my son due to complications post-partum. That made it even worse. One thing I suggest, which I think someone else mentioned, is your shoes. Make sure you aren't using running shoes to do step aerobics. You need a good cross trainer to help keep you on your feet. I am a fanatic of Adidas cross trainers. If you are shoe shopping, I highly recommend them.

Don't allow yourself to create a mental block of the treadmill or your aerobics. Sometimes [email protected] happens, but you have to get back on and try again. You will be back to normal soon. I'm sure of it.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks