• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Is It Possible To Convert A PDF file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Can I convert written information within a PDF file into Word or Wordprefect? When I try to pull the PDF up directly through the word processing software I get jibberish. I do not feel like re-typing all the information in the PDF file. Help!

Steve Vertin

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Can you highlight and copy it? Some pdf files can be copied, some can't. I have no clue how to convert one.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Pam:

Thank you for responding. No, you can not highlight and copy this particular file.

Steve Vertin

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Does anyone know what causes you NOT to be able to highlight and copy? Is this attributable ONLY to putting a 'lock' on the file or just some wierd subfunction of how you get access to the pdf?

Sometimes I see a pdf without the lock (gold key) but stil can't copy....

I have written something then saved to pdf and had it be unable to copy and then other times it seems to work.... :?: ....

I just 'try and see' :roll:

rtubbs

Stephen, are you sure you can't go to the tool bar and click on the text select tool and then highlight what you want to copy?

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
PDF files are more similar to a photograph of the document than a text file. The easiest way may be to scan in the document and run an OCR (Optical Character Reader) program to caputre the words.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Lee Ann: I do not know why you can copy some and not others. Good question.

Ron: I tried and I can not.

Ted: You are light years ahead of me. I am a low tech guy in a high tech world. I would not no how to begin to do what you have said. It sounds like I need special hardware which I most likely do not have.

Steve Vertin

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
It sounds like I need special hardware which I most likely do not have.

Yuo would need a scanner. But here's a low tech idea, get someone else to copy type it for you. :D

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
great topic and great thread, I'm going to follow this one....I've got a PDF copy of the report on my refi fo my residence 3 years ago......never know when a revised file might come in handy. :)

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
OCR software. I will tackle that one. Optical Character Recognition. Fancy words for saying you scan it in and the software can recognize the text and covert it to test for you. It’s really pretty straight forward.

There is some free software I found recently that works pretty well. Actually works better than the commercial software I replaced. Go to http://www.simpleocr.com and you find the download. It not perfect and it will make mistakes but I would guess it gets 95%+ of the text right. I don’t use it a lot but when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks