• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is it slowing down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
For the first time in 3 years my fax bin is completely empty. The past 4 months I’ve been covered up with sales, refis and REOs. Did the rates go up again? I hope that it’s simply a freakish lull, in fact I’m sure it is. Americans have refined the art of spending all their equity so I’ll always have a job. :) I’m looking at the bright side. I’ve grown tired of working long days, nights and weekends and I’m going to start my weekend in a few minutes. Yes, I know it’s Wednesday, but I need a break and I deserve one. I’m headed out to J.D. McLanahan’s Pub for pool, darts, lunch and a hot buttered rum or twelve. The live band starts warming up at 3 PM. Ownership has its privileges and the ranch is temporarily closed simply because I feel like it. :)

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
Good for You!!!! Tell us where you are and maybe we can all meet!!! :lol:

Yes, here it is slowing down. I'm still busy, but don't feel the heart palpitations, the pressures, and the feeling like any moment the lender police will be on my doorstep demanding their appraisals. Heck, I might even sneak in a 20 minute nap this afternoon.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Monday was a holiday, and only got two requests....
but Tuesday got back to normal with 5 requests.

I'm not feeling the pressure like last year....but
if interest rates blip up, it will get very busy and
there will be lots of "MY LOCK EXPIRES TOMORROW!!"
phone calls.

elliott

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Bobby:
About 10 years ago I was taking an AI class at the U. of Georgia conference center. There was this appraiser in our class that I made friends with and we were talking one day. He told me that for a couple of years he worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week. He lived in Alabama. One day he got in his car and headed home from work on the Interstate. When he got to his exit he just felt like riding for a while and forgetting his problems. He road across Alabama, then Georgia, and finally wound up in Orlando, Fla. He got a room at Disney-World and spent two glorious weeks with the mouse.
Every time I get pushed I remember that story. I have been in this business for 31- years and that is the nature of the beast. It is always boom or bust. My theory is to glide through the booms and relax during the busts. It is hard to face when you have a family and need the income stream, but at my age I am always just one exit short of Disney-World every day of my life. Like the proverbial old ball player once said: “You win a few, you lose a few, and some are rained out.”

B

Bemis Pownall

BOBBY WISH I COULD MEET YOU AT JDS
WE HAVE RECIEVED 37 REQUESTS SINCE MONDAY.
HELP!

:crazyeyes:

Mike Simpson

Bobby-

I'm jealous! We're very busy, and I'm past due for a vacation.

Did you see the new housing starts yesterday? New home construction applications were up as well.

CNBC said again; "there's no evidence of a housing bubble." They've apparently become bored with the story and are deciding to move on (for now).

If you're wondering about interest rates tune to CNBC and keep an eye on the 10 year bond yields (lower right hand corner of the screen). This will give you a pretty good idea of what's taking place in the interest rate world. The 10 year right now is at...3.94%--the lowest it's been in weeks. The lower the better for our business--translates to lower interest rates.

Enjoy the reprieve for now...it's bound to change quickly.

-Mike

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Yesterday was the first day in a long time that we did not receive any orders here. Then again it is the time that people are starting to worry about doing taxes so perhaps it will slow down a little bit.

Ryan

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Still busy here, setting up apts for Saturday. Its been my experience that business picks up about 2 months prior to April 15th, people taking out loans to pay Uncle Sam.

TC

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Still busy here. But I have booked a cruise for the first week of April and the thought of that is keeping me going. 8) (Just sorry I will miss the First Annual Meeting).

It's freezing here...0 degrees....Somebody send me some sunshine :!:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I'm with ya' Bobby. My weekend started about lunch today too. Seeing some slow times, only got one request for this week, but enjoying the break. I'm using to get caught up on personal projects and R&R :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks