• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is It Time To Strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Metz

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
Is it time for honest and ethical appraisers to go on strike?

Since a lot of this mess in the subprime market mess has been caused by the banks ,brokers and thier skippy appraiser henchmen I think it would be a good time for us to take the podium and get our voices heard. I think we should form a loose alliance and call the major media, state and federal representatives and tell them that the honest appraisers are going on strike and will no process any orders for 2 weeks or a month. Business is slow any way and may be a way to get our messge out to the general public. Our voice is not being heard

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
That would ony give the other guys a foot in the door with our best customers.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Many appraisers are on involuntary strike already.

Tudor

Professional Status
State
Arizona
One of the reasons people strike is over low pay, I think all the low paid appraisers out their should strike and start demanding an appropriate fee. Like Tim said, many appraisers are on strike now, unfortunately not the ones that should be on strike though.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
What would happen if you went on strike and no one noticed? You would jsut have a bunch of good old boys (and ladies) down at the coffee shop aruging with one another about what STRIKE really meant. Most of us cant agree on anything .. except of course there are those out there that are number hitters ... I call them Peanut Butter Boys ... as I am not fond of thier nickname.
Maybe if you lived in Irvine California or Pennsylvania you could stike at an AMC .. if you dont ... just put the On Strike banner up in your office to make yourself feel good.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Not so much a strike, but deman your full fee, your cost of doing business, your real cost. Not some cut rate cost.

But this is not going to happen, I don't think it will ever happen, to many appraisers need work. So those not knowing how to figure the cost of doing business, the return of and the return on your investment will continue to cut rates.

Talk with a man yesterday. A man who runs dump trucks for a living. He was agast that I was only getting $375 for the appraisal. He said your time to drive out here, drive your comparables, check the records and write your report, not counting the cost of maintaining an office. Is no doubt around $300 per report. His LO told him that the appraisal was going to cost him $675 because of the nature of the rural area he lives in. That is what the management company was charging them to get someone to do the appraisal. He was also told not to talk about fee's with the appraiser. So him being a redneck and I driving up in a red neck truck. He ask me if I knew what he was being charge for the appraisal. When I told what my fee was and the next one on down the road sixty miles. That started us talking about the business end of the appraisal business. He said if this is the case he would park the truck and go flip burgers for a living. That appraiser are getting screwed big time by those they work for.

So all you low ballers have at it. Your only cutting your own throat.

I have lost six orders this week because of fee's charged. When you car or truck wears out and you can't replace it. Then I will get the orders.

Steve Metz

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
The point of a strike is a PR move to get our message out to the media and the politicans. The public needs to know that lenders are gaming the system using low cost appraisers to produce fraudulent reports.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Many appraisers are on involuntary strike already.

Beat me to it. As long as we have Appraisers that can't seem to operate a calculator & are working below cost. Not much to do except play in the pool & go on vacations,.

Now those of you that produced ALL these Appraisers during the busy times cause you didn't want to pass your work out to competitors already in the area so you sent TRAINEES 60 100 +++ miles away to "cover" an assignment from supposedly a GOOD client that is NOW out of business. How those you "TRAINED" treating you now???

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
The point of a strike is a PR move to get our message out to the media and the politicans. The public needs to know that lenders are gaming the system using low cost appraisers to produce fraudulent reports.

We can't get Appraisers to call or write to anyone. Sorry but your Idea although in theroy is good NOT going to work.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Like I've said before, too many appraisers are form fillers and not real appraisers. Very few know anything about economics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks