• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is Pantry Considered Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Hi,

I'm wondering if pantry considered room and included in the total room count?

Thank you.
Zhen Cai

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I say almost never. But I will note that I appraised an 8000 SF home once that was used for entertainment. The kitchen has a walkin freezer, 2 commercial ovens, and a pantry that was about 12 x 20....I have bedrooms smaller than the room that housed the sound & telephone system.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
A pantry is no more than a large closet. It's not a "room". There can be auxiliary rooms (studys, etc) but these are definitely identifiable rooms.

Roger

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
GLA. Gross Living Area. Most pantries are too small to live in, and are not designed for occupancy, so they would not be counted in room count.
Just my opinion.

Richard J. Glesser

Professional Status
State
Michigan
99% of the time - no. If however the pantry is exceptionally large with food prep areas and perhaps additional sinks, stoves and refrigerators, I think you'd be justified to call it a secondary kitchen. I've seen 2 that I'd consider as a separate room, both years back and don't remember how it was dealt with at the time. :usa:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Do you include walk in closets as rooms? I think not....so neither is a pantry. Besides, you will give it credit in the total square footage of the home.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
State
California
I just did one that had a large "drive through" closet and pantry because the homeowner was in a wheelchair, but they did not get added to the room count, They make it in throught the GLA

Josh

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
Of course you have to count the panties in the room!

Claudia Cullen

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I'd say "it depends" on the size of the pantry. I've seen some that are little more than overgrown closets. If you open the door, stick in your arm and pull out the can of soup, that's all there is to the depth of the "pantry". So no, I don't include that as a room. However, I've been in several multi family dwellings where the pantry holds cabinetry, the sink, and sometimes the laundry area. I call that a room because of the function of the area. I show that on my sketch, and will put 1 in the "other" box on page 1 of the 1004 or whatever form the client ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks