• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is The $351 Application Fee Against The Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolfan

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
I am applying to become a Cert Res. The application has a fee of $351. I am also taking the Florida Law update course for my CE. The course says:

"The fee for initial application of an appraiser may not exceed $150, and the combined cost of the application and examination may not exceed $300. The initial certification, registration, or license fee and the certification, registration, or license renewal few may not exceed $150 for each year of the duration of the certification, registration, or license."

Last I checked: 351 > 300 > 150.

I already paid my application fee and I'm not expecting to get any sort of refund. I just found this interesting. Seems like the state is breaking their own law. Anyone got any reasoning on why I might be wrong?

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
From what you post, the maximum fee for the application/examination is $300. The maximum fee for the license is $150 per year of the license's duration.
Therefore, an applicant can pay up to $300 for the application/examination, and pay up to $150 per year for the license, based on its duration.
Does your fee include your licensing fee or is it just the application/examination fee? If it does include your license fee, how long will the license be good for?

Also, ASC requires a registration fee for an appraiser to be added to its registry. Is that fee covered in the state's fee schedule?

dolfan

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
I am not sure if the $351 application fee includes to the ASC registration fee.

In Florida we have to renew biennially, every 2 years. So our renewal fees are legally allowed to be $300, but the fee schedule in my second post shows that the renewal fee is $80 (I honestly don't remember what I paid when I renewed my trainee registration in 2016). But the application fee sent to the state for the Cert Res application is $351, which is more than the posted $100 fee listed in that table in the second post of this thread.

Does anyone have an explanation for the additional $251 the state is charging for applying to be a Cert Res?

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Based on your post #2 the only non 0 or 5 dollar item is number 12b ($61) which looks to be regarding changing an exam date :shrug:

That's about the only thing that I can see would possibly end up with a final amount ending in a 1

On the other hand ... you are dealing with the DBPR - my old supervisory once had to fight with them about CE credits adding up to 30 hrs ... somehow they thought that 15 + 8 + 7 = 29 ... :shrug:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Based on your post #2 the only non 0 or 5 dollar item is number 12b ($61) which looks to be regarding changing an exam date :shrug:

That's about the only thing that I can see would possibly end up with a final amount ending in a 1

On the other hand ... you are dealing with the DBPR - my old supervisory once had to fight with them about CE credits adding up to 30 hrs ... somehow they thought that 15 + 8 + 7 = 29 ... :shrug:
Shouldn't have been a hard argument to make.
Computer says no! :leeann2:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
I don't recall ever being successful in pointing out to a bureaucrat they made a mistake. Its like telling God you know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks