• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Is This A New Scam-not Appraisal Related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I got an email today from this organization stating that they have a "report" available for my email address. Of course, it costs $19.95 to join to see what was written. Anybody else get this one? Is it just a scam?

The report authors are supposedly anonymous but it seems that they must know your email address to write the report about you.

http://word-of-mouth.org/

I'm wondering if it is because I just purchased something off ebay and maybe the seller is reporting positive feedback at this site since I closed the deal??

What the hell is it?? Don't feel like spending $19.95 to be suckered....

Ben

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
That is possibly the strangest website I have seen. :blink: And considering what is out there, that is saying something.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Your first sentence should tell you everthing you need to know to NOT do business with these people or even visit their web site: " I got an email today from this organization stating...".

You were spammed. Anytime you get an email from someone where you didn't sign up for something at their website or otherwise agree to receive email from them, you have been spammed. It is illegal in almost every state to send spam and there is a bill before the California legislature right now proposing that spammers be fined $500 PER SPAM email they send out.

If you buy something from a spammer, or even visit their web site, the spammer has won because their tactics have worked. Which only encourages more spam and more spammers to try it. It costs spammers virtually nothing to send 1 million emails. It costs the people who receive spam billions of dollars per year.

Legitimate businesses do not spam, if you get an email from them you have signed up at their web site (like our forum here).

More info:
http://www.cauce.org/about/problem.shtml

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have to laugh at the anti spam spammers!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Yeah, I get spam from spammers that advertises products supposed to protect me from spammers.

I report them to their ISP just like all the other spammers.

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
When you visit a web site, it is possible to extract information about your account, including your email address. This is one way a spam'mer may obtain your email address, there are others.

If you receive an unsolicited email which states "click here to remove yourself from the list", NEVER click there. If you do, you will confirm your email address is valid and you will receive more spam. Since the source of the spam was unreputable to begin with, there is no reason to believe they will remove you from the list if you respond.

mi dos centavos.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Aw bummer - I got one of those unsolicited emails this week and I was dumb enough to click to be removed. The "removal" email even came back to me as undeliverable..dumb, dumb, dumb. My business email account has been pretty free from spam but I guess I'll have to battle it now.

I've been out of touch, Wayne - boy or girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks