• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is This Considered A Garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiana Jones

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
I've got a 2500 sf ranch, nice, good neighborhood, suburban. It's got a two car attached garage. The problem is that it's also got a 1 car detached garage behind the house. No driveway, no way to put in a drive way. Basicly it's a gloified storage shed. How should I adjust for this?

Ed Potrafke

Sophomore Member
Mike,
I think you answered your own question when you said "basically it's a glorified storage shed". Adjust as such.

jeanwillick

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Just did one similar to this today. The detached 1 car was kind of ratty so did not give it any value as they had just built a new 3 car detached. We do run into this very often in our area. Northern Michigan people many times like extra garages for workshops, snowmobile storage, lawn tractors/mowers, etc and we do not find them to be adverse. In your area, you may find this to be an "excess" feature with no value. Our area also does not recognize "pools" as a desirable feature, (4 months of summer, 8 months of winter) and we are located on Lake Huron with good beaches. You may have to use good judgement. Check your market for other sales with additional garages or large sheds and see if this feature brings $$ in your market.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Jean has given you good advice. One thing I always try to do with extra garages or larger storage buildings (not real outbuildings) is recognize them in the grid, even when no adjustments are necessary. I just put them in and put zero's on the comps for adjustments. That way the owner will see that you noticed it and not complain to the LO about it, even if it added no value.

It is definitely very common up here to have a range of storage buildings, since winter and summer require different tools, equipment, toys, etc.

Michael

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I would call it a "storage building". Does it have an overhead garage door? Ran into a few of these where the owner had an old car stored in there. The car was worth more than the garage! Reminds me of a house I did early on in my career where the owner dug out the foundation and created a "garage" for his antique car. No drive way and a very small entrance. Saw another one once that had an airplane in the basement. Still haven't figured that out. Gee, lets build a "home made"...ohhhh, duh..forgot I have to get it out of the basement. Glad I am not flying with that guy!

xm39hnu

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Originally posted by Mike Simerly@Jul 10 2003, 10:28 AM
Basicly it's a gloified storage shed. How should I adjust for this?
Call it a storage shed and glorify the adjustment. It's not uncommon to have a "garage" with an overhead or wide door to accomodate lawn tools, ATV's, etc., in most areas. But the URAR seems to imply that garages are for car storage, no? To call this a garage might be misleading. Call it a storage shed, and if it's better than most such sheds in your area, let the adjustment reflect the additional quality. Then explain the adjustment thoroughly. Non-standard features = expanded comments.

Ken-NC

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
no driveway? no garage. :)

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I live in an area where no driveways are common. Not even to the house. They just drive across the lawn. Is not having a driveway typical? If so, probably no big deal. If driveways are typical, the I would agree, it would be a glorified storage building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks