• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is your State Board trustworthy?

Can you trust em?

• Yes, most of the time they get it right

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • No, most of the time they get it wrong

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Not only do they get it wrong, they are abusive

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Where do they find these hacks?

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Do you have faith that your State Board is getting it right?

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I have trust in the members of the board--most of whom I am acquainted with--and the people (most certainly including, but not limited to, Brian Weaver) who are in positions of responsibility as employees of the state.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I posted this poll due to the thread regarding anonymous complaints.

For me, it breaks down to how much faith we have in the system as to whether we like the idea of anyone complaining, and do we trust our board to be objective or do we think they are on a witch hunt most of the time.

Just thought this may shed some light on the differing views on the original thread.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
My state board members that I met with when I got my license were very honest, and were both critical and complimentary of my sample work. One of the good things was that one of the board members was a former teacher who I very much respected in a farm class.

I really believe that most people are good, honest and just want the best for the profession, however there are a lot who do not know what they have not been taught.

How many people are complaining about board sanctions and discipline because they thought they had a great mentor, but have never been exposed to other mentors? There are a great many out there who had terrible mentors and teachers who don't know it.

Just my $.02.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Being drinking buddies, golf buddies and/or sharing membership in the same clubs with board members is not a very unbiased way to view an appraisal board.

Results over the last 15 years is the telling tale. Not how nice a guy or good a friend a board member might be.

The best published report cards are available at the ASC.

http://www.ASC.gov/content/category1/standardSearches.aspx?queryType=7

and

http://www.ASC.gov/Content/category5/page3.aspx?id=74

Job # ONE is protecting the public, not protecting appraisers and not fighting over "states rights". Fighting with the ASC should be left to the state legislature or thru the State AG....they have way more, time, money and assets available that any state appraisal board.

Many appraisal board have lost sight of their mission (many have published Mission or Purpose Statements).

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
While I can only comment on the "appraiser" members, I think we have had excellent board members. Lou Garrone (sp?) did much to improve the profession, he is the past chair. Tom Fellows, MAI is from Colorado Springs and very well thought of in the appraisal community. Mike Morton, new board member, taught for the same school I teach for.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Last edited:

xmmcsmielr

Ditto David McReynolds on the Arizona Board: no faith in the Arizona Board whatsoever.

The Arizona Board's performance since its inception has been so devoid of any significant accomplishments regarding USPAP enforcement, I wonder why the exercise in futility was even conceived.

Operating without the Arizona Board would have generated a better level of honesty among appraisers, because the Board's frequent dismissal of complaints about egregious USPAP violations encouraged liars to continue lying about values, about who lives in a house and about actual condition.

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Our guys are doing a good job; their hearts are in the right place. Sometimes I think they leave their "teeth" at home, but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks