• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

It's Happened Again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
With one day to go for work in the month of November, Judy and I have set a new monthly high for our company in billings. We went by August's record today and still have all day tomorrow to work. It has been a great month.

Right now we are backed out for inspections through the first 2 weeks of December and most likely will be looking at scheduling for the 3rd week before tomorrow is over.

There have been a few posts recently that asked how long have you been an appraiser and what did you do before you got into appraising. These are interesting to me because they bring back some memories of some tough years as a broker when interest rates hit 15+% and 3 years in a partnership that didn't go anywhere.

But things have changed. In fact today I realized that Judy and I have billed more in this one month than I made in my whole first year as a new appraiser. Of course Judy is a very big reason why we have been successful. Our clients love her and her friendly, efficient ways. She knows how to talk to people and explain things having been licensed once herself. But most of all, she keeps me on the straight and narrow. On top of it all, she is one heck of a good cook.

I think that I am blessed to be working in a profession that I love alongside the woman that I love up here in an area that has been dear to my heart all of my life.

When I remember what I have to be thankful for this year, it will not be hard to come up with some very good reasons to give thanks. And Judy will be right there on the top of my list.

A joyful Thanksgiving to you all.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Yeap, been a really good month for me too. Now I need a break. The $$$$$ is good, but I don't want to duplicate it too often. :turn-l:
I AM taking some time off this winter, just waiting on snow to pull the skies out.

Mike Seward

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
We processed 265 orders in October and November should be slightly higher. My story is the same......my wife, Candy runs the show....keeps track of the appraisers and communicates with the clients. "Couldn't do it without her. (She could probably do it without me. Don't tell her.)

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Mike,

For my E&O renewal, I told them how many reports I did. They wrote back asking how I could do that many as the "Average" appraiser only did 500-600 per year. O.K., so I'm not average and many of us on this forum aren't either.

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Richard....your post both moved and inspired me. We hear all this doom and gloom stuff constantly in this forum yet most of us are busier than ever. My month, while not a record month is right up there with the best of them and I was down for nearly a week with a computer crash.

Mike....sorry old bean but I can't believe anyone...better yet any company...can effectively handle the volume you mentioned. I have two friends who claim to be the highest volume office in town and they only do 80 to 100 a month which is more than twice what I normally do.

lets see, using an average of say 250 a month x $300 (again an average) = $75,000 x 12 = $900,000 a year. Good luck and hello IRS. The average residential appraiser makes less than $100,000 a year (source - Appraisal Institute)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:? OK using Mikes $300 'average' Fee:

if the 'average' appraiser pops 600 annually s/he is grossing $180,000 per the E&O folks.

If same 'average' appraiser knocks off 40- 50 a month EACH(?) (Mikes Buddies) they are grossing somewhere between $144,000 to that same $180,000 each...

And if the Institute has it right the rest of the average appraisers bring in $100,000.

So we can obviously conclude that working as an Institute Member is seriously cramping appriasers financial ability :lol: :lol: 8)

But they oughta have licenses when the stuff hits the fan :twisted:

Me I'm gonna be licensed and possibly in the poor house :roll: :wink: MY market ain't got no cookie cutters :(

A

Anonymous

MIke said he AND his appraisers did 265! He could have 20 appraisers, who knows. My wife (strictly clerical) and I (seems to be a trend here) have 2 other full timers and 1 part timer and we took in 242. The DC burbs are pretty populated. It's crazy around here right now.

terr

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
If each appraisal is taking 4-5 hours each to complete. How do you complete throughly and accurately that many appraisals in a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks