• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

"It's only against the law if you get caught"

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Yep, that is what I was told yesterday when I expalined to a broker why I could not "hit the number" of $220,000 and was only able to appraise the subject for $175,000.

This broker told the homeowner that I was incompent and that ANY APPRASISER should be able to drive by the property and simply prepare an appraisal for $220,000.

Sadly, this has become all too commonplace. We are expected to hit the number, make the deal work and keep our mouths shut.

By the wy, I filed a complaint against this out of state broker with my state banking comission. It seems they are not licensed in my state.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I've run into that same mentality. This is one of the reasons I want the marketing/consumer education section to attempt to put together something that will be on TV, at least the real estate channel. I can't see any other way it's going to reach the numbers we need to reach.

As always, I applaud your efforts!

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Pam, I am just one crazy appraiser who ain't gonna take this crap anymore!

I am waiting on approval from The NC Commissioner of Banks for the 7-Hour USPAP Class. This would be to allow mortgae brokes to take the class for THEIR required CE.

Picture this.....a room with fifty student, 25 mortgate brokers and 25 appraisers. Help! I may need a bouncer!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Video tape it Bob...this I have to see!

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Flip side: I went out on one, found out that the home was a manufactured, appraised for less than she owed. Broker called up wanting to know why I didn't give them a heads up. I told them that the taxes indicated a home, went out and found a mobile. At that time, I might as well complete the inspection. Broker agreed. When I suggested that she might find an appraiser to give her the number she needed, she said, "no, I don't do that. You did a good job. Just wanted to know the circumstances."

Roger

BigBlueGA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
There's a real estate channel?!??!!? :?: 8O

Mike Simpson

Bob-

I applaude your actions, and cannot thank you enough for the way you handled this situation. Hopefully, that broker will think twice about the way they treat the next appraiser. When will they finally begin to understand? They can't go through business being an abrasive ***, and expect to have any kind of staying power.

Your example is exactly why I'm not allowed to answer the phone anymore. I guess I have a zero B.S. tolerance level. When confronted with an individual like the one you described--my ears lay back, my eyes roll-up into my head, my teeth are bared and I begin speaking on tongues. My wife now handles the phone calls...this allows me optimal time to calm down and put my thoughts together on paper--trust me--this arrangement works a lot better.

Now as far as hiring a bouncer: I'm 6'4" 270 lbs (my tailor describes me as having an athletic build). I've studied 7 different martial arts and am still a student of my first instructor (he's now 70 years old and the Grandmaster of Ketsugo Ju Jitsu). I worked briefly at a Maximum Security Prison, and was a Member of the Special Tactics Assault Team (I was second in the door). I've bounced in Tahoe's largest nightclub and have worked as a bodyguard. I'd love to offer my services for free, but I must warn you--I'd tend to 'bounce' one side more than the other.

Best of Luck (you'll need it)

-Mike

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I keep hammering at this and seems no one is listening. But WE NEED TO COLLECT THESE STORIES!! We need these with name and details. Then we need to forward these stories to everyone that will listen and to those that want.

Examples of lender pressure would be a good thing to put on the marketing web site too. Just minus the names.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Jeff,

I have ONE email address that goes to all of my state legislators. They get everyone of these storeis...not just mine.

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Bob,

Send that broker a link to the article referenced under the topic "Another one bites the dust"...

He/She may think twice and may start looking over their shoulder! Appraisers aren't the only ones going to jail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks