• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I've been fired... again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Completed an appraisal a month ago for a new, unheard of client. This was for a purchase and COD.

LO was upset that I mentioned and photographed what appears to be older termite damage in the garage service door, door frame & trim, and along the sill plate on the bottom of the exterior garage wall near that door. "None of my other appraisers would do that."

Now, I get the request to write a statement saying that termite damage is of no consequence and does not pose any structural problem. Here is what I wrote:

There is what appears to be older termite damage in the garage service door frame, trim and the door plus in the sill plate that runs from this door area along the bottom of the garage exterior wall. This appraiser is not a qualified building contractor or engineer and cannot make any determinations regarding the extent of this damage nor any existing or potential problems that may or may not be caused by this damage. A building contractor or structural engineer would be necessary to make that determination.

I just got off the phone with the LO who is hopping mad. I don't know how to keep my clients happy and no other appraiser he's ever worked with would have done this except maybe on an FHA. I will be receiving no more orders from them and the impression was that he believes I'll be out of business very soon.

I wonder what wholesalers he sells his loans to????????

Hey Fannie and Freddie... are you reading this???????? You have a major problem with loan officers ordering appraisals!!!!!!!

Wally Jones

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Gee, I wonder who the homeowner would look to sue when the house falls down due to structural problems caused by termite damage??

Previous owner, Realtor, bank/mtg. co., state of Florida for allowing termites to live here, appraiser ..........

And lawsuits tend to target that area of the hill to which effluent is known to flow and guess who's standing down there all alone?

Don't let them "bug" you. You know what's right. Now if we can just get the lending industry to care. :cry:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Pamela,

I am soooooo ashamed you did not warranty that there would be no damage and take a picture come on. No other appraiser takes interior photographs or photographs damages. Like the broken window and kicked in door that I did not photograph the other day. Even though it somehow made its way into the report. :twisted:

Have fun with that great one time client. :twisted:

Ryan

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
My favorite is lead based paint on FHA appraisals on home older than 1978. It seems I am the only appraiser in the country that flags chipping and peeling paint. Somehow it is my fault that the loans are going south due to paint repairs that nobody else seems to require.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Pamela:

Stick to your guns. :!:

One of these days I'm going to find time to write a post about LOs and UWs wanting to EDIT our work. I'm mentally making a list of the crazy demands I've gotten for changing what was fact in so many appraisals.

What right do they think they have to EDIT what we are responsible for. :?:

Stay tuned. :!:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:lol: :lol:

It must be Make the realtor/lender hopping MAD week!

Sale of a home to be financed through RECD
(similar rules to FHA...)

1.5 inch gap where the floor in the rear bedroom had seperated from the already sagging interior wall. Diagonal cracking all exterior walls to the 1/4 inche wide level :roll:

Exactly ONE window that was neither broken or inoperable.

Termite tubes running up the interior wall, with evidence where old tubes had been knocked down probably for YEARS...

Visible water demarkation line at 2.5 feet in the partial basement, with a !!live!! outlet at the 2 foot line, and the shovel used to move the mud (recently) leaning against the wall.

Cut off DWV pipe which *may* run from the tub in same area: which mayhave been cause of this problem :roll: Said tub area has a 6" hole where leaks have been ongoing...

3 INCHES (not layers) of composition shingles on roof, carefully disguised by an artfully applied trim board except in one spot where they forgot...

Other problems to numerous to mention but you get the idea...

A call to the lender informing her there was likely in excess of 50% of value in repairs needed, resulted in her calling the sales agent who told the lender the appriaser was blind or lying as "There is NOTHING wrong with that house!!!".

Call from the lender stating the facts as she was told them and our polite request to go inspect it for her own self and here's where to START looking....

Post inspection, she calls back and said "It didn't look that bad to me, just write the report, but DON'T make the repairs over $5,000".
8O
:?
:eek:nfire:
:crazyeyes:

Told her to get a blind appraiser :scrambleup: , cause that dog won't HUNT :agrue:

" I feeel GOOD!" :usa

B

Bemis Pownall

YA ME TOOO! DARN IT

3 CLONE BUIDER SALES CLOSED 2 DAYS AGO, 12/02
HIGHEST SALES EVER IN THIS PUD.
SUBJECT $30K OVER THE CLONE SALES.
ONE RESALE AS #4 TO BOOT!

BUILDER ASKS WHY I DIDNT USE THE SINGLE FAMILY HOMES THEY ARE BUILDING DOWN THE ROAD?

CUZ THE SUBJECT IS A CONDO! THATS WHY! :agrue:

GEE ALL THE OTHER APPRAISERS DO IT, NEVER HAD A PROBLEM....
AND IN MARCH WE HAVE SOME $20K HIGHER CLOSING..USE THEM..

DRIVES ME TO :drinking:

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
1. Mortgage Broker calls & asks if I can use a regular map instead of a FEMA Flood Map so the Subject doesn't appear to be in a flood zone.

2. Another Mortgage Broker calls & asks "if there are no similar sales within 1 mile of the Subject, can't you estimate the value of the houses around the Subject, and then use them as Comps?"

Both are real phone calls I received Tuesday. These are the people in charge of SOMEONE'S money.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
OK guys I have an idea. Seeing as we all have stories like this why don't we gather all these stories up and send them to Fannie Mae or someone? I don't know who exactly to send them too but if appraisers would get their stories together and keep sending copies to the right people maybe eventually it we could see some change.

Maybe we could set up a web site for us to post the stories too? Or someone would be willing to set up an email address to collect them? I am open for ideas. We are all pretty good at complaining (self included) so lets get pretty good at doing something.

OK let the ideas fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks