• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I've got a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
How can a board review appraiser not be a licensed or certified appraiser to render an opinion about an appraisal that has come before the state board?

I know of someone who got summonsed before the state board and the review appraisers that looked at the file were as follows; 1.) Young lady who has no license and has only been in the “business” for just over a year, but has memorized USPAP and can determine what needs to take place in an appraisal. 2.) A retired police officer who has no license and has never done any appraisal work except for the board review work, but has also memorized USPAP and can determine what needs to take place in an appraisal.

I know I’m just a trainee, but wouldn’t you think that those who are casting the stones to crucify us should be at least familiar with how to do appraisals and what occurs in the process, not just someone who has supposedly memorized USPAP.

I just wonder how many other state boards have these types of review appraisers who are looking out for the public’s best interest.

Am i just crazy or what.......m2: :Eyecrazy:

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
I know in my state there are a couple of "consumers" who sit on the board and have the full weight of the board. Be happy your lay folks know USPAP. Of course mine probably do too. I hope to never find out.

DaveH

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I can agree with consumers on the board, but how can they carry the full weight of the board and that their decisions are right, persay? Shouldn't they be at least tested and licensed? I would hate for one of them to make a mistake on the review, just because they have really never done anything in the real world.
I hope to never find out either, just some questions that i had.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
I know in Florida and in NJ you have a right to defend yourself against the board, lawyer in tow. I would have to suppose that if they are not right the appraisers on the board would see that in the arguments when they are presented. At least I'd hope so. But if you have two members on the board who are merely there to fill a spot, then there is no point in having them. I'd have to think they must carry equal weight with other members and must not become appraisers, or even appraiser-like, to keep up their intended function. Though, it is just conjecture...

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Virginia Appraisal Board

I can agree with consumers on the board, but how can they carry the full weight of the board and that their decisions are right, persay? Shouldn't they be at least tested and licensed? I would hate for one of them to make a mistake on the review, just because they have really never done anything in the real world.
I hope to never find out either, just some questions that i had.

In Virginia we have a 9 member board. 6 Appraisers, 1 public member, 1 education member, and 1 financial institution member. We use to have 4 appraisers, 3 financial institution members, 1 public member, and 1 education member. I worked with my state delegate to get that changed. I believed that the majority of the board should be appraisers. The appraisal section of our state Realtor Association also had contacted a representative, not known to me at the time, about the same issue. I got a telephone call and a fax during the next session of the general assembly about a bill introduced into the house of delegates, that was also going to be introduced in the state senate. By the end of the session it had been approved by both houses, and the next June signed by the Governor. It created 2 new spots for appraisers. This was the subject of an artice in The Communicator Magazine, December 2000 issue titled "How one appraiser made a difference". All members of the appraisal board have a vote.

In Virginia the appraisal board operates under the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation(DPOR). There are over 50 boards under the DPOR including the Real Estate Board and appraisal board. There are about 5 investigators assigned to DPOR. They have varied backgrounds. they investigate whatever any board tells them to investigate. They do not make decisions as to violations. They report the results of their investigation. A member of the appraisal board is assigned to the case. If that member believes that a violation may have occured then it is scheduled for an "Informal fact Finding Conference". That IFFC is really not very informal. A member of the board sits as the chair, there is a member of DPOR present, the investigator, and usually an assistant AG or DPOR counsel. The appraiser being investigated can subpoena witness's, and can have legal counsel and expert witness's present. The board will state the case, the accused can then defent his/her actions. If the IFFC finds probable violations then the accused is usually offered a consent agreement that will outline charges, money penalties, remediacl courses or whatever the chair believes is appropriate. If the accused accepts that then it goes to the full board to be reviewed at their next meeting. But, if the accused disagrees, then it will be heard again by the full board at their next meeting where the board can agree with the IFFC or come up with an entirely different decision, or drop the charges. The board has the final say in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks