• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I've Seen Tornados.but never this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I just took a working trip in the mid part of ARkansas which was hit by an F4 Tornado in January, freaky in itself, which cut a continuous path for 125 miles SW to NE from Atkins, AR thru Clinton and beyond nearly to the Missouri state line.

I've seen tornado damage. I've never seen any worse nor as wide as this. The countryside should look like the trees in the background. A new power line has already been put up, but there were houses to the left and a farm in the center of this picture. It looks like this for as far as you can see, and I crossed this path twice more and it all looks the same. It literally rooted the trees up or broke them off close to the ground with rare exception (like the tree to the right) It's all of ½ mile wide. I don't know how it kept from killing hundreds of people.

Last edited:

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Wow!

It looks like it even pulled up the freaking grass!! We get a few twisters here, but very short lived. Nothing like that. Wow.

JT1974

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Wow.......looks like it took the whole Trailer Park with it!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
It looks like it even pulled up the freaking grass!! We get a few twisters here, but very short lived. Nothing like that. Wow.

Exactly what I was thinking. F1-F3 in the spring or fall... last about 10 min. Every now and then a F4 or F5 every 10-20 years or so.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Thanks for sharing that, Ter.

One of the freakiest things I've ever seen was what a tornado that passed next to my brother's house a few years ago (Pierce City, MO) did to a pond (about 5 acres large) surrounded by huge trees.

The pond is in a low-lying bowl shaped topography, so when the tornado passed directly over it the winds uprooted the trees in a swirl pattern then neatly laid them back down into the lake. It looked like someone had tried to flush a giant toilet and the water had pulled the trees in. Many of those trees were at least 2ft. across at the bases.

I wish I had taken a picture...you had to see it to belive it. :Eyecrazy:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Ter:

I was travelling westward - about a county and a half north of Greensburg-- and noticed some severed trunks - with stripped trees at the periphery--- then I looked north and south, to see more of the same THEN I checked a map. Yup I was north and a little east of G-burg. No trees at the property lines and a segment of new phone poles at each mile line as far south and north as your eyes could focus... It was a 1/4 mile wide swath cut clean like a lawnmower went through. As flat as that land is you can see a looong way.

The storm series which spawned the F-4 that made a direct hit through Greensburg kept going... I came back another county north of that and saw -more.

Truely amazing innit?

Dee Dee - saw some of that 'toiletbowl' pattern on the north side of Lake Ponchartrain - after Katrina.

LOTS of tornadic touchdowns that laid 2' diameter trees down in circles, and 'spot cleaned' the centers -- or even wierder, left a house standing in the middle untouched with a new fence of downed trees surrounding! Most of them sheared off 20 feet in the air.:huh: some circles were at ground level. The air trees circles were a problem, it was harder than heck to carve your way 'in' safely, when the trucks are laying on other trunks way up in the air!

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Give me earthquakes any day. :angry:

Professional Status
State
Michigan
We don't get many tornadoes up here in Mi, having said that we did have a couple bad ones last fall. However, they usually consist of a few broken trees and a few roofs ripped off---nothing like this.

My sister lives in Nashville and they get some freaky weather down there. Her husband and his family are from Birmingham, Alabama and they've about seen it all!

Typically we only get them here from Spring through Summer....completely shocked me to find out they get them year round down there!

I'd much rather have my cold temps and icy/snowy roads thank you! :)

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Give me earthquakes any day
its a choice

Greensburg took a direct hit, this tornado was 125 miles long and skirted several small towns but did not cut through any town of more than 200 people but must have missed 20 by a mile or two. Poor Greensburg. I used to stop at the rest stop on the E side of town. They said it even filled up the "World's Biggest Well" with debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks