• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Jail time in Jax, FL - seeking appraiser ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
http://originatortimes.com/content/templates/standard.aspx?articleid=2736&zoneid=1

Branch Manager Gets Three Years in Prison
Monday, January 07, 2008
JACKSONVILLE, FL - U.S. District Judge Henry Lee Adams, Jr., sentenced Robert W. Hulbert, Jr., 46, of Jacksonville to three years' imprisonment for his participation in a mortgage fraud scheme. After his release from prison, Hulbert will be on supervised probation for four years. Hulbert entered a plea of guilty to conspiracy to commit wire and bank fraud on September 24, 2007. At his sentencing, Hulbert also was ordered to pay restitution of $1.2 million and to forfeit more than $4 million, jointly and severally with other conspirators.

Hulbert, who was the manager of the Jacksonville branch of Nations Title Agency of Florida, acted as the closing agent for several transactions in which mortgage loans were fraudulently obtained. He also personally obtained such loans on two properties that he acquired in his name. At the closings, Hulbert disbursed funds from mortgage lenders to conspirators, knowing that the funds had been fraudulently obtained.
According to court documents, the scheme operated this way: Conspirators negotiated to buy residential real estate at a given price. A conspirator who was a licensed real estate appraiser then fraudulently appraised the property for a substantially higher amount than the actual negotiated price. Documents reflecting the inflated appraisal price were submitted to a lender, along with other fraudulent documents, to obtain first and second mortgage loans on the property. The total amount of the loans was at or near the inflated price.

Anybody here have the name(s) of the appraiser(s) involved?????

Fred Freund

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I did some research in older posts and the appraiser is not named anywhere. I am attaching a link to the complaint. Check out the things to be forfeited.

www.mortgagefraudblog.com/images/uploads/FLBarkerInformatin.pdf

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Check out the things to be forfeited
This guy was living high on the hog for a while

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
This guy was living high on the hog for a while

"OH stop worrying they're not going to do anything"!! Where did I read that OH!! on this forum bout five years ago.

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
there was a similar case in my area last year or the year before. If i remember correctly all of the people involved are now wearing shiny silver bracelets instead of diamond ones

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Countrywide was the mortgage company/broker involved believe it or not

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
do i sense just a "hint" of sarcasm

Alison Swain

Professional Status
State
Florida
Diamonds. And from retail jewelers. What a dumba$$. Clearly white trash with new money!

:rof: :rof:

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Try the FREAB and see if any complaints were filed for the addresses in the indictment and/or by the defrauded lenders.

Some of that info. might be availble as public info. (maybe not if any ongoing investigation is taking place)

A good reporter would know how to work the Freedom of Information statutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks