• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Japanese Knotweed the UK's New Real Estate Menace

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
It has been here for some time. It likes disturbed ground but will grow anywhere, and fast. Probably 15 years ago I was hacking it out of my neighbor's stone wall that was of no concern to him. Odd place for it but it grows well anywhere. Also, it is harvested by herbalists as a treatment for Lyme and related infections. (Just enter Knotweed and Lyme in Google).

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Never seen that one luckily, but invasives are really taking over in some otherwise pristine parts. Around here, honeysuckle is probably the biggest problem - I've spent almost every warm weather weekend outside for a few years pulling that stuff from my yard and it's just now mostly gone. That species was introduced by the government, and if you look at state parks, they are all overrun with honeysuckle. Not to take a tired anti-government role on something like this, but they can start a problem yet can't be bothered to help with removing it.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Bradford pear has been disasterous for flowering wild fruit trees. Kudzu may be holding Alabama together, but in many places it's a plague. Nandina berries kill birds that feed on them. And on and on............All these have in common that they are not native to this country.

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The common House Sparrow is another example. Evil birds!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
common House Sparrow
Starlings
Rock Dove
House Finch
Johnsongrass
Dandelion
Multiflora rose
Japanese Honeysuckle
Kudzu
English Ivy
Asian Lady Beetle
Green Ash Borer
Japanese beetle
Burmese Python
Asian Carp
Snakehead fish
about umpteen thousand more

NP_MAI

Professional Status
State
Florida
Burmese pythons in the everglades, stupid iquanas, and monitor lizards (particularly nasty).

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks