• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Job Offer - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon StCyr

Freshman Member
Hi all,

I'm brand new here and basically brand new to the business of Appraisal. I've read through this forum and I see it's filled with tons of info and very knowledgable people. Was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts on my specific situation.

I've got a job offer (refered by a friend) for an appraisal job with a national firm. They are offering to pay for training, supplies, etc. and will pay about $60 per appraisal. The work will consist of driving around and basically gathering info on subject property and comps, and then inputting the info into a database.

Is this a good deal :question:

Thanks in advance.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
$60? It beats working for free, or paying to work.

Your big question is going to be how your bosses are using that information in the report. If their deal is that you will be doing all the work but they are signing reports certifying (falsely) that they personally inspected everything, then you will have an ethical problem. If your state board catches them and you at this, they can suspend or revoke your bosses licenses, and deny a license to you. Possibly forever. On the other hand, if the company is just using you to gather and input the raw data and they're going out afterward to personally inspect, or if they are acknowledging all of your efforts and disclosing that they didn't personally inspect, then it'll be a good deal for you. Hopefully, it's the latter. Probably, it's the former.

If the deal is legit, the $60 will increase as you gain more experience and knowledge and you're looking at an okay deal. If the deal isn't legit, the $60 is not worth prostituting yourself. There are no secrets in this business. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

George Hatch

Kelly Green

Freshman Member
Off topic I know, but I just realized George that you are in Carlsbad. My wife and I just returned from there last week. Wish I would have known this earlier.

Brandon StCyr

Freshman Member
Originally posted by George Hatch@May 21 2003, 04:06 PM
On the other hand, if the company is just using you to gather and input the raw data and they're going out afterward to personally inspect, or if they are acknowledging all of your efforts and disclosing that they didn't personally inspect, then it'll be a good deal for you. Hopefully, it's the latter. Probably, it's the former.

George,

Thanks for the reply. From what I've gathered, it sounds like it's the latter; but those are questions I will definitely be asking. I surely don't want to get involved in anything unethical.

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks