• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just an idea or suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Got an E-Mail from Appraisal Intelligenge asking to submit a person for Appraiser of the year. THOUGHT MAYBE we could use this to the FORUMS advantage to see how much CLOUT we might have; if as a group selected one person & all submitted the same name. Couple names come to my mind are Frank Gregory of Florida for the many articles he's written, JoAnn Myers for unselfish & to her own expense ways of sending Manufactured Info all over the US to other appraisers. Ready for this one MR GOODPASTURE for making EVERYONE of us Think & Respond. There are so many others & ANOTHER PROBABLLY the MOST IMPORTANT the founder & creator of the petition. That probablly brought more people here than anything else.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Good idea!

So many names here to choose from!!!!!!!!!

Let's set up a poll. This thread will be the nominations.

Frank Gregoire

George Hatch

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton (sp?)

I'll add more as I think of them.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Great idea!

They aren't using a butterfly ballot are they 8O

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
How about Pamela Crowley?

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Wayne, I hope the server is in Colorado and NOT FLORIDA! This election could turn into a circus. Tee hee

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
One Person? Naahhh........I know at least 5 in my little State of Delaware who would fit THE BEST, THE MOST PROFESSIONAL, THE MOST ETHICAL, THE MOST HELPFUL, THE MOST KNOWLEDGABLE AND THE MOST LIKEABLE! And, Delaware is the second smallest state in the union.

Then on this Forum I could name at least 10! Bad idea, in my opinion. This is equal to selecting a "Mother of the Year"......if you get my drift.

Dick Hemry GAA

Sophomore Member
Our local Board of Realtors held their annual X-Mas get together this past week and one award, of several given to members, active &/or affiliate, is "appraiser of the year". This is an annual event and one ole gal wins it most always but this year she was shot down by an out of towner who comes in quite regularly for NCM and now Countrywide home loans. My understanding as to qualification is the final receipiant (winner) is the appraiser who is most popular with the real estate agents in that she/he makes value plus in most all assignments with no repair requirements. This is especially true on FHA appraisals, most often. Why, we have FHA appraisers humping the value 7 to 10+% on some of the social do-gooder programs. This is over the original list price and property may have been on market several months prior to contract.
I think "appraiser of the year" might be a questionable award since some might not associate it with quality, morality, etc.
Dick Hemry

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I have a problem with "_______ of the Year" awards. They usually go to the person who is either #1 on the inside group, #2 does the most public relations things not associated with the actual work of the award or #3 they have a big name that the group awarding the prize wants to use in order to promote itself.

A couple of examples are a Realtor of the Year award many years ago went to a minority sales person who did this, did that and was involved in all sorts of community life projects. However, when you looked at her brokerage record, she hardly ever listed or sold anything. It was just that our Board of Realtors selection committee thought it PC to have a minority win the award and she served the purpose well. It was a joke. Another prime example is of Ted Turner being selected Fly Fisherman of the Year this past year. All he has done is use his money to buy up land in Montana and close down a lot of prime tout fishing waters to other fly-fishermen. Oh yes, he did get rid of what's her name but that doesn't count toward a fly-fishing award.

I think that these awards are self-serving and tend to divide rather than enhance cooperation among the group. The names mentioned, Pam, JoAnn, Goodpasture as examples are certainly good ones. But I for one would rather know them as my Professional Associates and Friends from the AppraisersForum than Appraiser of the Year. That title means more to me than any award.

Let’s not go the route of Appraiser of the Year. Let’s just continue to work hard as individuals and as a group, exchange ideas, help one another and sometimes, put up with one another. It's a good thing we have going here. Awards may tend to cause us to loose focus of what we are here for.

Just my thoughts.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware

Let’s not go the route of Appraiser of the Year. Let’s just continue to work hard as individuals and as a group, exchange ideas, help one another and sometimes, put up with one another. It's a good thing we have going here. Awards may tend to cause us to loose focus of what we are here for.

Just my thoughts.

Richard.......You said it, just like I would have said it, if I had taken time to compose such a well written response! Instead, I made reference to "Mother of the Year" :lol: Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks