• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just Answer Your Phone Or At Least Call Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I've gotten a decent amount of my private work just because I've answered my phone. Recently, a few weeks ago, a lady called asking about a private appraisal. I gave her my fee and TAT for the assignment, we chatted a little regarding the property and toward the end of the conversation she said I was the first appraiser out of three to answer. She said she was going to call two more, I said I completely understand and think that's a good idea.

She ended up calling me back and hired me. At the inspection, while chit chatting a little, she told me I was the only one out of 5 to answer my phone, let alone call her back! There was no urgency for the appraisal, no rush, she just has been in the house a number of years and doesn't know if she wants to keep it or sell it. So TAT was never an issue.

Just answer your phones, or if you can't at that moment (i.e. at a property inspection), call back. It many times is worth it!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I call back even when I know I can't help. I get calls looking for rentals...thinking I am a broker. But the caveat is please leave a ph. number and speak slowly. And don't spend the entire message trying to explain what you need, why, and the history of your problem only to be cut off before you leave the number..

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I always answer my phone and return voicemails as soon as possible. I don't like to wait a couple of days to get a response (or never receiving one at all) so why would I treat others differently? Same thing with emails, I usually try to respond within an hour or so. The caveat is that on a normal day I only get a handful of phone calls and a handful of emails that require a response. Some of my co-workers who aren't appraisers may be get 100+ emails a day and a dozen or two phone calls.

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I may not able to answer but always attempt to call back unless it's some AMC only looking for fee and tat

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I always answer my phone
2 of three calls on my office # are spam callers, and it IDs the number but doesn't tell me who called. Some are telling me they can increase my business with their wonderful website system, etc. Some are wanting to sell me a warranty on a truck I sold in 2013, some telling me they are from the IRS...etc.

When I am on a tractor on the farm, I can't even hear the phone or feel the vibration unless the tractor is idling. There is no way I can answer every call even if fwd to my cell.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
A full 90% of my landline calls are marketing or charity calls. If there isn't a valid caller ID I don't answer. I'm transferring all my clients to mobile phone and dropping the land line. I haven't been in the phone book for years so no big loss.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
When I am on a tractor on the farm, I can't even hear the phone or feel the vibration unless the tractor is idling. There is no way I can answer every call even if fwd to my cell.
And not what I meant

I don't answer each call I receive either. Sometimes I'm with a homeowner or agent at a property and I think it is rude to answer unless it's an emergency. Other times I may be driving or picking my kids up or ... I definitely don't answer each call, but that wasn't the first private assignment I've received just because I've answered my phone (or called back after listening to the voicemail).

I have an out of state phone # even though I've lived in FL for over a decade. Living in FL, there are many out of state #'s I call due to snow birds or, in similar cases as myself, people who use their cell phones as their main phone numbers.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Terrel and his ex plowing the south 40

e154.jpg

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
:rof: Sorry Terrel, not laughing at you, but that's funny! :beer:

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I used to always answer, now not so much, excess spam calls. Just leave a message, maybe I'll call.
My one thing in common with Joe Walsh. :peace:

Pretty sure Terrels tractor is in better repair than the Green Acres guy. :leeann2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks