• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just Do It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ida S. Romo

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I am not meaning to ruffle anyone's feathers, insult, dishonor or attack anyone............ the intention and spirit of my post is good.

I have read many posts on the subject of appraisers complaining about clients, brokers, and real estate agents pressuring them to "make the deal work".

Some of the posts were questions... which..... the appraiser already had the answer for but, was looking to sidestep what they already knew to be correct, to find a way to make everybody happy.

If we wanted to make everybody happy.....we would become clowns.....not appraisers (though I must admit I have met a few in my day).

What ever happened to the "Old Breed" of appraisers who blew deals with pride, knowing that they did the job that they were hired to do.

Making everybody happy, may work in other professions, but not in ours.

Just do your job.......and if you can't......Barnum and Baily will be visiting your area soon ......sign up!

Ida :silly:

Mike Simpson

Ida-

Your post reminds me of a tennis shoe manufacturer (maker?) who packed his business up & moved it to Indonesia (although I once heard him admit he's never been there himself). The reason (he says) evidently, "Americans don't want to work in a tennis shoe factory." The real reason (we all know) he can hire 14 year old girls @ $0.60 an hour!!! I haven't bought that particular brand of tennis shoe since the 1980's.

I wonder how long it will be before we're receiving overseas phone calls from AMC's or from inmates. A major Airline once hired inmates (I'm unsure if they ever discontinued this practice) to book reservations!!! Big business's answer to this kind of behavior--"we must be able to remain competitive, and offer the consumer lower fees." Sound familiar???

To answer your question regarding the "Old Breed of Appraisers;"

Constantly raising the DeMinimus happened

Allowing the lender to choose their overseers happened

Blackballing & 'Conservative Labeling' happened

'Transaction fees' in lieu of an appraisal happened

20% down we don't require an appraisal happened

I'm sure there are those that can add many more events that 'happened,' but I think you get my point.

-Mike

jtrotta

in a perfect world ya git perfect appraisers and appraisals - to bad we're not in a perfect world 8O .

all ya need ta do is yer job, the business takes care of itself; most of the complaints I've heard this year were;

how much experience do you have :?: - as most people had differences with past appraisals & appraisers.

8)

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Ida,

In generally agree with you. However, let's not ignore the enormous pressure being put on individual appraisers on a daily basis by realtors and lenders. The threat is that if an appraiser doesn't "come in" at a certain value then jobs will not come their way. Until that pressure is stopped, the clowns will rule!

Randy Beigh

"I wonder how long it will be before we're receiving overseas phone calls from AMC's "

Mike

How prophetic. Ocwen Bank in Florida does have a contract company that it works with in India. They do some of the customer service work.

The postings that you refer to are just people seeking confirmation that others have the same problems to face each day, plus some venting.
I often ask rhetorical questions as a reality check because THIS BUSINESS CAN DRIVE ONE CRAZY.

Mike Simpson

Randy-

AAAMMMAAAZZZING!!!

I received a phone call the other day from an AMC that went something like this;

Meesta Say-So (my last name is Simpson & not that difficult to pronounce if you ask me)-

"Can you do appraisal on Cam-ino Is-Land?" They actually said Is-Land, not island--like Gilligan lived on, and that's Camano Island.

Now how many folks w/even a fourth-grade education in this country do you think know what an island is???

Wonder how the client's are gonna feel about this? There's no end to corporate greed. The old sayings used to be--'your employees are your most valuable asset,' and 'deliver a quality product.' The new mantra, however, appears to be--'cut costs @ all costs.'

Where's it all gonna end???

-Mike

Ida S. Romo

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Mike,

You asked when it is all going to end.

It is all going to end when appraisers STOP prostituting themselves..............thats a start!

Ida

Mike Simpson

Ida-

Lender orders through an AMC.

AMC takes a percentage (large % @ that), and calls an <u>"approved appraiser"</u>

Approved Appraiser (often times sweat-shop based on my experience) takes a percentage of the fee (large % @ that), and gives the order to their <u>"appraiser" </u>(often times an unlicensed individual based on my experience).

The <u>"appraiser"</u> then completes the assignment & turns it in for review--making considerably less money than I would charge.

Based on client feedback--"I'm quicker and put together a much higher quality report" than my afore mentioned competitor (imagine that!!!).

Therefore, if I'm gonna be a prostitute I'm going to be a 'high payed prostitute' cause my services are way better looking.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks