• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just thought I'd throw this out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Davey

Freshman Member
Well, Im a newbie (not yet working)but also a builder/broker. I've been reading as much as I can about appraising and the business of appraising. I'm somewhat suprised at myriad of headaches appraisers seem to have, this concerning every thing from client theft of trainees, drive bys, lender pressure, getting foot in the door as a newbie, non-payment , proposed elimination of appraisals by fannie mae (50$ fee) while simultainiusly complaining of their performance, etc, etc etc.

So my point: have any of the appraisers ever considered forming a union!

A strong union would take care of a myriad of problems (not all). Imagine if someone didn't pay: lawyer, whoever and they were blacklisted! Imagine if the union refused to accept any fannie mae work, if they continued with the no appraisal option. Imagine if there was a code of conduct with teeth for theft of funds from employer, or if non-compete clauses were violated.

Just a thought!

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
The Guild is trying to get this started. The problem with organizing appraisers is like the "herding cats" commercial. We all want to go our own ways. This is reflective through the myrid number of appraisal organizations. How many accounting organizations are there - 1. How many appraisal organizations are there - I've lost count.

As long as we continue to pull in separate ways, organization and power will be pretty much impossible.

Roger

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, Oh Boy!! Yur stirring the pot again. There is a union, e-mail Bill Senter of AFL-CIO for info.

www.appraisersforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4667

You can also do some reading in Improving the Profession/Political Action forum to learn more about the problems, organizations, etc. But there are many, many other organizations. That is one of the gripes...... the profession is fractured into small segments looking after their own, but not the profession as a whole. And some only exist to offer classes and give you an alphabet soup of designations to go after your name.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Don't look for Fannie Mae to be sucessful with it's $50 proposal anytime soon. It applies to only a small percentage of their loan applications. Union? Never! At least not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks