• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just who do we trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
My, My, My.....

We don't trust lenders. We don't trust loan officers. We don't trust underwriters. We don't trust our fellow appraisers. We don't trust software vendors. We don't trust RE agents (brokers, etc). We don't trust Appraisal organizations (AI, etc). We don't trust the media. We don't trust lawyers. We don't trust borrowers. We don't trust banks. We don't trust our government.

I am sure I am forgetting several "don't trusts". Is this an acquired trait of our profession? Is this an American trait?

Is their anything that appraisers universally trust? I can't think of anything. Somebody help me here.

Newbies think we are too negative, but I am beginning to believe that it battle weariness related to our job description. We work in a field that has been divided and conquered too many times.

I do trust 50% of the posts on this forum. What, you expected a higher percentage after reading this nonsense.....? :)

jtrotta

Tim

Trust: when I was younger (a real long time ago) growin up I can remember making deals with various people and shakin hands, and the people you made the deal with would keep the bargin as their reputation was at stake. By the time I hit my late 20s / 30's - things had begun to change; today deals are a joke and whatever anyone says, puts in writing, I take with a very little grain of salt. And yep it started at the top and worked it's way down, we now live in the most unTrusting period and it will git worse - before it gits better.

Trust here :?: why not, it's just opinion's offered by various people on a subject - in essence - just talk, you aren't venturing any "$money$" and therefore, the perspective won't change. If you were to add money to this adventure - there would be people that you would classify untrustworthy 8O Eample: think about the people you had ta work for before ya went on yer own :wink:

8)

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Tim:

I'm willing to trust almost anyone once. I grew up with a dad that sold thousands of dollars of cattle & ag products every year on nothing more than two peoples word. I believed the world did or should operate that way as well. I found out it didn't. Now I've changed. Fool or lie to me once your fault, fool or lie to me twice my fault. I still trust lenders, realtors, brokers, borrowers, etc. once until they prove I shouldn't. If I read on this forum or some other source that ABC Mortgage is a bunch of crooks, It's COD.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Perhaps the word "trust" is being confused with "skeptical" in some cases.

Appraisers have so much pressure put on them by all of the people that you mentioned that we have learned to be skeptical. That doesn't mean that I live my whole life like that. Everyone is just trying to make a buck and they are looking at it from their own viewpoint - including us.

The pressure that is being put on an appraiser sometimes is not recognized as being that by the person applying the pressure. They are just (in their words) doing business. When I am pressured, or feel that I can't "trust" someone, I do my best to make them understand my position. (Unless I get mad, then I just let loose :lol: ) I find that lots of times you can turn the situation around by being honest and truthful.

See - I'm optimistic after all and certainly do trust many, many people! I'm old enough and from a small enough town to remember the hand shake days myself. But you know what? Not only do those people not know us any more, I don't know them either. So I'm "skeptical" even though I do feel like I give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong.

Mike Simpson

Tim-

I'm reminded of a religious sect that came to rise out of the turmoil that was 13th Century Japan. They had a saying--"Trust in the Self." I learned this lesson in my mid 20's and have practiced it everyday of my life since...this way I'm rarely dissapointed.

Call me jaded, but I approach business from the opposite angle of Mr. Haskell--I trust somebody once they've proven themselves to be trustworthy, then I'll give them another chance, followed by another, and so on.

Thanks for your post...it was interesting and now I don't fell so all alone.

-Mike

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
Is their anything that appraisers universally trust?

I'll take a shot at that: appraisers universally trust their own conclusions and opinion of value.

On the other hand, I had one last week that really started to make me wonder....

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
"Trust but verify". In business, you cannot "trust" anyone. If you don't believe that, look at how the major corporations conduct their operations. The bottom line is the primary issue, with no consideration given to the employees or the customers. If it's legal or squishy legal, go for it. Government is no better with politicians saying exactly what the sub-constituancy they're speaking to wants to hear. You don't like what the law says then a rule/regulation is written to get the law like you want it.

No, trust is a thing of the past. And it's a sad thing.

Roger

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The way I see it, everyone is crooked; the difference is in the degree of crookedness. We've all done things at some point in our life which we are probably not proud of and which were not ethical or moral. It's real easy to justify your own bad behaviour in some way. Sometimes unethical behavious is actually warranted. A poor, destitute woman stealing to feed her child because the government won't is an example.

Who can you trust? I think virtually everyone is corruptable; thus, you can trust virtually no one, especially not an appraiser.

We are beholden to our clients. :(

John Hassler

Professional Status
State
California
I have limited trust for anyone who has a vested financial interest in the outcome of my report.

I do trust:
Agents when I call them about a home they sold.
Owners when I meet them taking a pic of their home for a comp.
Lenders who portfolio their loans
Underwriters - generally IF they sound like they know their job
Appraisers - if their competent, always
AMCs - not enough that I would work for one again
LO's - never on the first deal and rarely after that

I don't see this as a jaded view, just prudent business. This is the view I think is required to protect my licence and bring me the greatest economic benefit.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Pam, should I have put this in the watercooler? I wanted the appraisers perspective not the individual perspective. If it needs to be moved, feel free to do so.

Steve,

I trust in my opinions of value, but sometimes I find I was proven wrong (honestly or dishonestly). I just appraised a home that I appraised seven months ago. My comps were not as good then and I had a wide range. My new appraisal has better comps and a lower value ($191,000 from $194,000). The client is not happy. However, they have a requirement that all sales must be within six months and within guidelines. Therefore, the old sales could not be used again and the new ones reflect the current market and current value. Their own guidelines bit them in the behind, but it is still my fault as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks