• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Kitchen Appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalAgent

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
California
I am an agent starting to work with buyers who are going FHA. Does FHA require kitchen appliances? They are not builtins. Is this not personal property? It is not a health and safety problem. Thanks appraisers for all your great posts I learn alot.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
For existing properties, FHA Minimum Property Requirements apply. The MPR is that there must be a place for cooking meals, i.e. a kitchen. There is no specific requirement for appliances. If there are appliances, they must work properly.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
I am an agent starting to work with buyers who are going FHA. Does FHA require kitchen appliances? They are not builtins. Is this not personal property? It is not a health and safety problem. Thanks appraisers for all your great posts I learn alot.

To be classified as residential property, you would need to have a place to clean, prepare and cook food. That is also the interpretation of the IRS code. As such, (IRS Code), if there is a place to do the above, as well as a place to sleep, and toilet facilities, it would be considered residential whether or not it is real estate. For real estate, I do not know of a single loan program that would not require at a minimum, a place to clean, prepare and cook food. Other appliances are not considered a necessity.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
a place to clean, prepare and cook food
SO: Sink + Counter Space + Stove
Whether the stove/range is personal property (or not) depends upon local law and custom

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
SO: Sink + Counter Space + Stove
Whether the stove/range is personal property (or not) depends upon local law and custom

In addition, I would also add...."The intent of the parties".

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California

The actual verbiage is "space" not "place."

Each living unit must have the space necessary to
ensure suitable living, sleeping, cooking and dining
accommodations and sanitation facilities.

No mention of appliances.

Protocol for appliances:

Appliances
Make an entry [X] in the boxes to indicate that these items exist. An entry in a box means that the item was considered part of the real estate and is included in the value. If an item is personal property, put a "P" in the box and do not include it in the opinion of value. Treat non-functioning equipment as existing, but as deferred maintenance in the valuation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks