• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Knee Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I am so nervous. My mom is 75 years old, diabetic, 3 meds for blood pressure, etc, I'd guess she probably takes about 12 or 15 different medications every day for various pieces and parts. She is having a knee replacement tomorrow. I have heard so many horror stories about that surgery, are they true?

I have been doing my best to talk her out of it, but, she says she is having this knee done and if she gets thru it, she is doing the other knee.
They have her scheduled for a week in the hospital and then 3 weeks rehab in a nursing home.

Does anybody have any good news about this?

Caligirl

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Joint surgery is tough.

I had hip surgery a couple years ago at age 37. My very best to your mom.

I don't know a lot about knee surgery, but any joint surgery involves a somewhat painful and/or uncomfortable recovery. Many people experience depression, often before, during and/or after joint surgery and recovery depending on their level of pain and loss of mobility. I had chronic pain for about a year before my surgery and was really down before, during, and after my surgery. It is especially hard on people who have been very active and are used to a certain level of daily exercise.

The joint replacement surgery itself has come a long way. It used to be borderline barbaric but with new technology and super light-weight materials, and arthroscopic intruments, it is much less invasive and the success rates are much higher than even five years ago.

I really recommend your mom find an aqua-therapy class in addition to physical therapy. It is a great way to get a good workout without putting any pressure on the joint and it will help eleviate the possible depression, irritation, and discomfort often associated with the recovery period. I did three months of aqua-therapy with a group of senior citizens; it was really fun and I was able to stay active even though I was on crutches.

I also recommend making her laugh when you visit her after her surgery. That always helps. Good books, laughter, lots of visits, and good take-out food so she doesn't have to cook or do dishes.

Good luck to your mom Janet.

P.S. Here are some links:

http://aquajogger.com/default.htm
http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/knee-replacement-surgery
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/973894971.html

Last edited:

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
My Dad just had his knee replaced in 2007. He was only in the hospital for three or four days. He did not go to a nursing home, went straight home when paroled from the hospital. Physical therapist came to the house to make sure he was rehabbing properly. He is 78. No problems, he is glad that it was done as the arthritis was causing so much pain, that he was taking loads of pain killers which is not good. Now he is golfing and bike riding with minimal pain. He did have a wife to care for him however, he could not have done it alone, so if your mom lives alone, that is why they are probably sending her to a nursing home. As far as operations go, this one is not too bad :)

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks Cali. I'll definitely suggest the aqua therapy. That sounds like a great idea! She told me they told her to expect a great deal of pain during recovery. :sad:

TJ, my mom is married and very active; I don't know why they are sending her there. But, I do feel a lot better your dad was 78, had it done really recently and came thru it fine. Thanks!

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Can they set up the house so that she does not have to do steps, I am sure that is the concern. Yes at first there is pain, but with each day it gets better. He is very glad he did it, and yes he takes many other drugs as does your mother, for every ailment out there and I think some of the pills cover diseases they have not invented yet.

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
He is very glad he did it, and yes he takes many other drugs as does your mother, for every ailment out there and I think some of the pills cover diseases they have not invented yet.

That's my mom.....:rof::rof::rof::rof:

Theresa James

Professional Status
State
Florida
Janet,

My husband had his knee replaced 4 years ago and we heard all the horror stories too. He had suffered with this knee for 17 years, but no one wanted to replace it yet due to his age.

He had a WONDERFUL orthopedic surgeon and had NO SEVERE pain after surgery. Of course, I had requested that they give him an epidural for at least the first 24 hours, which they agreed to. He was up on crutches within 12 hours of surgery, the epidural came out after 24 hours & he went home in 3 days. He had rehab for 8 weeks after that, but found that if he took a pain pill 30 minutes before he started each session, he was able to make it through the entire session without much pain. Other than that, he was without meds.

Please keep us informed on your mom....our thoughts and prayers will be with her & the doctors alike.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
A neighbor had his hip replaced a few months back. He commented that he wished he did it sooner than later. I think they have those procedures down pat now, the procedure and the products are well advanced from even 8 years ago.
Of course he didn't mind seeing his PT everyday for a week either. :wub:

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
My brother had knee surgery in the 80's while he was a feel-no-pain teenager. It was awful and the recovery was very long and painful. He still has problems with the knee.

My Dad had knee surgery just a few years ago and was in his mid-50's at the time. The surgery was very successful and the recovery was quick with only mild pain.

20 years has seen this process get a great deal better. I have a feeling your mom will be very happy she did this.

Remember, the mind is a very powerful tool. Think positive and be positive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks