• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Kodak/ritz Camera Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Kodak /Ritz Camera Saga

Has anybody had any similar trouble with buying Kodak cameras from Ritz Camera Store? My first was a DC 50 I paid $999 for it. Used it about three years then software would not work on anything beyond windows 98. Good camera totally useless. Then I purchased a DC 215 that was a great camera for about two years and the zoom switch would not work. Ritz refused to send it in for repair. Said it cost more to fix the switch than a new camera would cost, so I purchased a DC 3600. Used it for about a week and sometimes it would not come on. Open the shutter switch, the light blinks and the camera goes to sleep. If I keep opening and closing the switch it will eventually come alive.
I toot it back to Ritz as it was still under warranty. Man said try it another week and if it still would not work he would switch it for a new one. Two weeks later it was still not functioning property. Took it back to Ritz and man would not switch it. Said had to send it to MD warranty repair. So he sent it in and they keep it six weeks and fixed it at no charge. Worked fine for about a week then it would not come on at all on an assignment. Talked to Ritz man again and got the impression that he is not going to do anything about it. Warranty is 1 year and purchased it in December.
Quesiton: Has anybody had any experience with Ritz not honoring their warranty and poor quality Kodak cameras? The technology is excellent; the product is crap in my experience. Made in China and sold by an American Corporation that won’t honor their own warranty-double crap.

David Mullen

I would skip Ritz and call Kodak tech support directly. They have an excellent tech support dept and you might even get those old cameras fixed for little cost. Their employees are really helpful.

Their turn around time for me has been about a week when I sent my camera in.

Sent it in twice and the problem each time was operator error. They were really about it.

Neil (Texas)

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Haven't dealt with Ritz since purchasing a DC-50 when it first hit the market. Never had any problems with the camera and upgraded to a DC-280 which is still in use. However, I did purchase an Olympus 35mm from Ritz in which the lens was prone to "freezing" in the closed position. Took it back to Ritz and had them send it off for repairs. It came back with the same problem. Packaged it up and sent it to the president of Olympus (a Ken Fuji, I believe) along with a short note in which I congratulated him on having a customer purchase his product and then send it back as a gift. No other explanation. Two weeks later I received a new Olympus. Dealing with the retailer can be frustrating and often unsuccessful. I would second the idea of contacting Kodak direct. Good luck.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
B) Austin,

I have a Kodak DC 5000(actually 2 counting my sons). They recently had a recall. The first camera I sent back was either lost by Kodak or Airborne express. I suspect airborne. I went several rounds with them until a Kodak "Consumer advocate" came into the picture. I had a refurbished replacement camer in 2 days after that. When I sent my sons camera in we had it back in less than a week. If you will go to their web site and clisck on support, it should be easy from there on. BTW, be sure and mention that RITZ Camera will not honor their warranty.

Don

PS DC 5000 uses a flash card with a Dandisk reader. My 8Mg card gives me 28 photos, 32 about 68, and any larger than that, well the sky is the limit.

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
You have to be verrry careful buying cameras online.
Lots of companies sell very cheap cameras on line but they are black market and have no manu warranty.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Software is available for the DC-50. Type in kodak kdc in google and you should find at least six different programs that will work with that camara. I've still got a DC-40 that I use as a back up for my DC5000.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have bought several cameras on ebay and they all have worked as expected. My kodaks have been work horses. Started with a DC 40 and now have two DC 210s and a DC 215.

Sounds like Ritz is the problem.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
so tell them that in the last 24 hours your post to a nationwide forum has been read by over a hundred people who are in a business that requires the sue of a digital camera... many of who USED to consider Ritz as a potential supplier...tou would really like to conclude the posting thread with a happy resolution story in this ONE LAST attempt at bringing this sad tale to a conclusion....

then if they don't answer DO call the Kodak repair facility directly and let them know how you feel about their supplier :twisted:

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
"sue of a digital camera"

Lee Ann just what is "sue of a digital camera"?

What guidelines are you following with this one?

RITZPAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks