• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Land Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I am looking for Land Sales of power generation plants(electric) preferably located in PA, NJ, DE and/or MD; or any other state going back to the year 2000.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and/or compensated.

Best regards,

Jim Talarico
Scranton Appraisal Group

Louis Pompeo

Professional Status
State
Mariana Islands
Jim:

Did one a while back....don't have any recent land sales to share....

Would like to point out something though.....

Land that is bought with approvals for a power plant - regardless of size - should also be analyzed according to Price per kilowatt/megawatt, in addition to your regular analysis.

These units of comparison generally show the comarability of the properties/consistency in the value of the properties better than the usual price per acre/foot/hectare/whatever.

Good luck.

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I am looking for Land Sales of power generation plants(electric) preferably located in PA, NJ, DE and/or MD; or any other state going back to the year 2000.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and/or compensated.

Best regards,

Jim Talarico
Scranton Appraisal Group
Try CoStar. Assuming you are looking for sales of land for "peaker" plants as opposed to the big boys, you should be able to find a bunch of sales near various metro areas. Try working backward by identifying recently constructed plants and tracking back to the land sale.

jt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Pat, thanks for your reply.

I understand what you are saying in regard to megawatts, that’s why I need to search several states because the land sales must be of power plants with a minimum of 500 MW.

How long ago was the one you did and where is it located?

Do have the land sale of the power plant you appraised?

jt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
"Do have the land sale of the power plant you appraised?"
I ment, "Do YOU have the land sale of the power plant you appraised?

jt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
PL1957

I have heard of CoStar [good and bad] but have never used them, do you have an address?

Also, what is meant by “peaker” plants?

Louis Pompeo

Professional Status
State
Mariana Islands
Did a nuclear power plant in 2001 for a 2000 valuation date. Sales were from mid to late 90's. It was of a plant in upstate NY. It was an existing plant, so no land sale.
Also, I was working as an appraiser at the IRS - not anymore - so the file and appraisal is there - under lock and key - can't access it.
I did a strong focus on the cost approach and used land sales from around the country.
One place I highly recommend (if you are a member of the Appraisal Institute) is the InfoExchange service on the AI website. You can also check their archives for anyone who was looking for similar sales over the years.
If your subject is a completely private project (not a publically funded or subsidized project), you should research community opposition to yours and the comparable sales.
You should consider the time and litigation and cost of special rings-of-fire it takes to get approvals for some of these projects.

Last edited:

PL1957

Professional Status
State
Illinois
PL1957

I have heard of CoStar [good and bad] but have never used them, do you have an address?

Also, what is meant by “peaker” plants?
www.costar.com They cover virtually every major metro area and are a good source of leads. Regardless of what they say, all of their info needs to be reconfirmed.

"Peaker" plants are smaller facilities that may be owned by a private utility or owned by the primary electrical utility in the area. They only operate at times of peak loads providing supplemental power to an area. They are a lot cheaper to build and maintain that the mega-plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaking_power_plant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks