• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Landfill Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Minnesota
I am seeking some assistance on methodologies for landfills. This is a smaller landfill of 80 acres. The cash flows are going to indicate some value above the hard assest value. I was hoping somebody would have some insight on the various componets of value for a property of this type.

Acutally, any help at all would be appreciated, articles, advice, links (other than run :) ).

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
This shouldn't be cheap......... :lol:

First I would get engineering certification concerning EPA compliance.....otherwise you are looking at negative value right off the bat. Those same engineers should be able to give you current % of fill plus the amount of space left for future fill. Like with any business proposition once you know how much is used up and how much is available for future use it will be pretty simple to calculate the present value of future income plus residual value less closing costs (returning the land to usable property.....a golf course or race track or the Meadowlands or something).

But first thing to do is establish that it meets current EPA requirements, then study what future requirements are likely. Every thing else will be Cash flow analysis.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Scott:

I have done a number of them. Are you a member or affiliate member of AI?. If you are call the AI Lum Library in Chicago. You may not even have to be related to AI. I am not sure. They can be reached at (312) 335-4467(voice), (312) 335-4486 (fax), or e-mailed at [email protected] The Director is Eric Goodman. He is very helpful.

There are several articles and books written on the subject. However, explaining the entire process in a post would take several pages. If you are not looking for an explanation of the entire process, do you have a specific question? I would be more than glad to help.

Steve Vertin

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Steve:

I am an AI of the institute and have downloaded and read the article from Bill Mundy Arpil 1998 on applying going-concern value to landfills (also looked for additional articles).

The portion I am struggling with is the allocation of the value, more specifically is if the the conditional use permit's enhancement of the land value would be a tangible or intagible asset.

This is a smaller operation and does not take many types of items, more solid construction materials. If you like you can call me at 800-420-9882.

Scott J. Lanz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks